Toadfish Laid Eggs?

charles-n-charge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Livingston Tx
I'm not totally sure what's going on here. My 8" oyster toad has been ridiculously fat for a couple months now, and hasn't eaten at all in a month. Then, suddenly, I found him in my morays hole, with a few little clear spheres scattered around him. And he seems a little thinner now, but not completely back down to normal size.

So this got me thinking... Could my "he" actually be a "her"? There's an orange toad in the tank, but I doubt they could breed. But there's not really an explanation for this that I know of.

There's only three spheres left (I believe the moray may have gotten some), so I collected them and placed them in a 10g with my banded shark egg, just to see if anything happens.

Any input guys? This one has me pretty stumped.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1360900716.980932.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1360900733.934867.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1360900746.333250.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1360900758.605239.jpg

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
how long have you had this toadfish? alot of times when they are captured for the trade they can be gravid and may keep there eggs till there stress levels lower. Most likely any fish in the tank or hermit crabs or scavengers in the tank have consumed them. Most likely the ones in the 10 gallon will not survive the breeding and rearing of saltwater fish takes alot of very intricate and hard work if you reference any Matt Wittenrich you'll see what goes into it but it is always nice to see eggs being laid in ones tank :)

mr.reef24

charles-n-charge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Livingston Tx
how long have you had this toadfish? alot of times when they are captured for the trade they can be gravid and may keep there eggs till there stress levels lower. Most likely any fish in the tank or hermit crabs or scavengers in the tank have consumed them. Most likely the ones in the 10 gallon will not survive the breeding and rearing of saltwater fish takes alot of very intricate and hard work if you reference any Matt Wittenrich you'll see what goes into it but it is always nice to see eggs being laid in ones tank :)

mr.reef24
I've had it for over a year and a half. It was in freshwater and only 4" long when I first got it

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
the eggs are a good source of food for the tank mates that is what happens to 99.9% of eggs laid in a tank unless you have it setup for breeding but always nice to see the act of egg laying and the eggs just too bad it is such a difficult task to help the eggs hatch, and rear the young to an age of successful rearing

mr.reef24

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store