Lion Fish Not Eating

charles-n-charge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Livingston Tx
I've had this 5" volitan lion fish since 1/23/13, and I still hasn't eaten a single thing since I got it. For the past few days I've found him floating around the top of the tank, and every now and then he looks dead for a minute or so.

I feed krill, brine shrimp, and silver fish 3-5 times a week.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ptrick125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown Texas
Get it ghost shrimp or feeder fish to get something in it's stomach, then start to slowly introduce the non-living food into it's diet.

For silversides/minnows throw them in the water or move them around so the lion thinks they are living.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

charles-n-charge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Livingston Tx
Get it ghost shrimp or feeder fish to get something in it's stomach, then start to slowly introduce the non-living food into it's diet.

For silversides/minnows throw them in the water or move them around so the lion thinks they are living.

That's what I did with my puffer when he didn't eat after the first month. The only issue is that now I have some pretty aggressive eaters in there. I doubt any feeders would ever last long enough for the lion to go for them

Ptrick125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown Texas
That's what I did with my puffer when he didn't eat after the first month. The only issue is that now I have some pretty aggressive eaters in there. I doubt any feeders would ever last long enough for the lion to go for them

Depending on the tank size I have heard of people dividing an area, then sort of target feed the fish

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
well first if he is floating my initial question is salinity? second is how big is your tank and who is the tank mates for him?

Mr.reef24

charles-n-charge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Livingston Tx
well first if he is floating my initial question is salinity? second is how big is your tank and who is the tank mates for him?

Mr.reef24
It's a 75 gallon FOWLR, and it's a grow out for some of the fish in there.

8" oyster toad
6" orange toad
5-6" porc puffer
10-12" eel (still trying to get ID)
5" horseshoe crab
4" foxface
5" volitan lion fish

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
can you test your salinity and sorry for the loss was it a newer addition? can you get me a pick of the eel would like to help you ID it?

mr.reef24

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store