Stocking a 180 reef ready

tonyt

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 28, 2011
hudson valley,ny
I'm setting up a tank for a friend, how many common or average African cichlids can I put in the tank? And what size ?
Also open to substrate , decorations and lighting
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

P.A.NativesBPM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
Do you know what lake he wants to stock the fish from? Because if he wants to go with Malawi id suggest A fosso and blue dolphin hap setup. He could also do a really nice peacock display in a tank that size. Lastly, if hes going for the cheapest possible tank he could have a crazy amount of mbuna in there.

Then there are tanganyikans. Waaaaay more options with this route.
If he wants action and activity I'd suggest:

Tropheus
Petrochromis
A giant colony of neolamprologus brichardi. (they're small but they have a really cool way of raising their families. I've also seen a HUGE tank with just them in it and thought it was a waste of space but when I looked at it for a while it was really a nice tank.

For a relaxing, peaceful tank:
Frontosas. A fully grown dominant male frontosa is a sight to see let me tell you. Go with blue Zaire's if you do frontosas.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tonyt

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 28, 2011
hudson valley,ny
I wanted to mix some pool sand with crushed coral. Getting some huge blue slate to cover the over flows up and still looking for big lava/lace rock?
And will two 4 ' shop lights be enough? What type of bulbs will make there colors nice ?

P.A.NativesBPM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
I wanted to mix some pool sand with crushed coral. Getting some huge blue slate to cover the over flows up and still looking for big lava/lace rock?
And will two 4 ' shop lights be enough? What type of bulbs will make there colors nice ?

Don't buy any more rock until you you decide what fish you want.

Frontosas houldnt have lace rock as they spook easy and run into things.

Mbuna however need many passages to hide in and swim through.

Have you decided on stock?

fishnutham

Needs More Room!
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Brantford,Ont,canada
I have been playing with lighting and my African tanks and what i have settled on is very sexy and good for the fish.I picked up submersible led strips that rotate and have place them at the top with a slight angle forward.
I'm telling you it creates depth in the tank and relieves stress in my fish with shadows and light, even my synos cat comes out now.
Have you decided on the fish? Would love to see a massive peacock setup.

tonyt

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 28, 2011
hudson valley,ny
i have not decided what fish yet, i like to get a group of 5 frontosa and as many other colorfull fish as i can and a few syn catfish,

the tank is being set up in a nursing home so some movemant is good, not crazy chasing

the overflows in the tank need to be covered up so thats why im using large blue slate in the back ground

the tank is 2 feet deep , so theres plenty of depth, im looking for a reliable , color ful bulb set up; two 4 foot shop light with some recomended color bulbs.

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
I would advise against putting any sand in the substrate. If you use sand, you pretty much have to stir up the sand once a week to avoid getting anaerobic pockets.
This is a huge PITA, in my opinion, especially if you have rockwork.
Sand is also a PITA to vacuum .. you'll always suck in a little sand.
This tank is going into a nursing home.. it needs to be as low maintenance as possible.
The fish will be happy enough with small/med size gravel. They'll still be able to dig in it (mine do).

Don't get me wrong, sand looks cool, but it's not worth the maintenance headache.

P.A.NativesBPM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
I would advise against putting any sand in the substrate. If you use sand, you pretty much have to stir up the sand once a week to avoid getting anaerobic pockets.
This is a huge PITA, in my opinion, especially if you have rockwork.
Sand is also a PITA to vacuum .. you'll always suck in a little sand.
This tank is going into a nursing home.. it needs to be as low maintenance as possible.
The fish will be happy enough with small/med size gravel. They'll still be able to dig in it (mine do).

Don't get me wrong, sand looks cool, but it's not worth the maintenance headache.
I've never had a maintenance headache with sand. All you have to do is use the right amount and it will fine because fish no matter what have to sift a little while feeding. If its going in a nursing home, I say more power to you for frontosas. They will be very much enjoyed by the residents and will appreciate the calmer environment. If you want more colorful fish with them, I'd stock the tank like this:

5 frontosas. I recommend blue Zaire's, mpimbwes, or (my personal favorite) kigomas. Try and get 1 male and 4 females.

6-8 Muzi gold head compressisceps

And maybe a few leleupi.

I'd recommend against the synos or any catfish because they will steal eggs and interrupt breeding.

tonyt

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 28, 2011
hudson valley,ny
Thank you, that's the advice I need,

it's a 1/3 sand 1/3 crushed coral1/3 Estes river gravel,
next step is picking bulbs and a good supplier of fish, I think cat fish are a must, not into baby rearing, and looking for fontosa, compress, and some other color fish; can I get away with yellow kribs, old school zebras ? And a few cats

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store