Frontosas

WinsAllDay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2013
Richmond Va
I have a 7 strip front a 6 stripe front and a black widow front they are all 2 in big my question is why dont they ever come out from hiding like that's all they do is chill in their caves i never see them eat what can i do to get them to move around more

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ADi_00P

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2012
England
Frontosas can be quite shy, when I've had them I always had a group of at least 8 in a tank by themselves apart from a few synodontis cats whizzing about and never really noticed them hiding away for long periods of time. Have you had them long?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Metriacliman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2012
New York
How big is you tank and what's in it?

manafel

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2012
tulsa, oklahoma
^ +1 and also fronts do better in a colony, they feel less shy when there are more fish swimming around.

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Matt S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Mass
Like stated above fronts can be very shy i use to breed them and in all my colony's in 4 different tanks 90 percent of my fronts would stay and hide in their caves and the rocks and usually just the alpha male and a few female would cruise the tank but all of them would always come out and eat when it was feeding time just give them time I always kept my fry and grow outs in open tanks to try and take away the shyness and skittish movements and it usually help but you don't need to do that just give them time when they are hungry they will come out and eat
Also if you could answer these questions it would be helpful

Tank size?
Tank mates and their sizes?
Also what are you trying to feeding them?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

WinsAllDay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2013
Richmond Va
55 gallon for growout i also have a blue dolphin and german red and brown knife fish and i feed the new life spectrum

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
first definitly feed only sinking pellets.. let a few fall to ground of substrate and give them quiet time to come out and eat.. they will eventually do better when they realize your feeding routine.. but shy they are.. and they remain this way through out their life.. they love their caves... the lake that they originate from is very deep and dark... so it is a built in instinct to hide.. they do not come up to eat.. so there fore they need sinking pellets...and they eat from the bottom.. if they tried to eat from the top it would be harmful for them since they would gulp... and end up with bloat..

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
The nls are sinking pellets

thats good.. then i am sure they are eating... unless you see the pellets still there??

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
They are very personable when they get comfortable with you and your routine, keep the lighting dim and traffic in front of the tank to a minimum, as when they are spooked, can swim with great speed and damage themselves or items in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store