Question about lighting a 125g aquarium

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
I just acquired a 125 gallon aquarium from someone on Craigslist. It's being water tested as I write this.

I have decided I want to build my own canopy. A canopy just seems right for a large 6' tank. I went to Lowe's to look at lighting and I have a few options. They don't carry 3' lighting and the 2' sections are somehow more expensive than the 4' sections. They sell a 4' open face fluorescent light fixture that holds 2 T8 bulbs for $14, which seems hard to pass up.

Will this standard utility light be okay inside a canopy over an open aquarium with all the moisture that will be inside from the evaporating water? If it is not, I may purchase glass tops to cover the aquarium and reduce evaporation because the "moisture approved" fluorescent lighting they sell is $20 more expensive per fixture and it comes with a cover that I would think reduces the effectiveness of the light.

Now because my canopy will be 6' I am stuck with one of 2 options. Either I center a single 4' fixture and hope that the two 4' bulbs can provide enough light (not worried about too much light because all the plants will be fake). Or I can offset two 4' fixtures and there will be 2' of overlapping light. My only concern with using 2 fixtures is that the center area of the tank will be too bright and the fish will keep to the ends of the tank. (BTW, my stock will be all South American cichlids: 4 keyholes, 2 severum, 4 red head geo tapajos and 12 Cory cats of undecided species). Which method will work better?

I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
By SF, Farther Inland, NorCal
Kind of off topic but for the cory cats my pesonal favorite is corydoras sterbai. They are the prettiest cory cat (imo). They are fairly easy to find, petsmart sells them i think, most lfs carry them. They average 4$-6$ each. Of course you should be able to get a quantity discount if you buy enough.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
if you want more "even" lighting ..get 2 of those 4' fixtures and stagger them ... this will provide lighting to all 6'...:popcorn:

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Kind of off topic but for the cory cats my pesonal favorite is corydoras sterbai. They are the prettiest cory cat (imo). They are fairly easy to find, petsmart sells them i think, most lfs carry them. They average 4$-6$ each. Of course you should be able to get a quantity discount if you buy enough.
I am considering the sterbai, but can't find them locally. One of my LFSs can order them, but wants $9 each. Little too rich for me. The local Petsmart carries julii (the one I am currently leaning towards), peppered and on rare occasions, pandas. The pandas never last for more than a couple days and I always get to them when only 1-2 are left, and the ones left behind are usually sickly looking (likely why they were left).

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
no... start one at the FRONT LEFT... ,run it parrallel to the front glass leaving far right of tank" unlighted".. then take other fixture and start at back right and run it parrallel to back glass leaving far left of tank "unlighted ".... MAGIC... you now have full coverage....:)

archers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2012
canada
no... start one at the FRONT LEFT... ,run it parrallel to the front glass leaving far right of tank" unlighted".. then take other fixture and start at back right and run it parrallel to back glass leaving far left of tank "unlighted ".... MAGIC... you now have full coverage....:)
+1

Sent from my SGH-I317M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
also run just one light in each fixture to avoid "too much light "

zoohouse

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Arlington
I would just run one 48" shop light. That is alot of light for a fish only tank. It will give you slightly shaded top corners of the tank which adds to the dramatic look.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Okay. That is what I had thought of doing. Thanks for clarifying. :)

By the way, any thoughts on if the light itself would be okay over an uncovered aquarium, but inside the canopy or should I invest in glass covers?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store