Feeding?

CaymanMoon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi, I just bought two stingrays, was told they are hystrix rays. The very knowledgable man at the store (seems so anyway), told me to feed them one time a day, frozen shrimp, half a pinky nail amount. He said to do this for a week or two until they are comfortable, then I could hand feed when I was comfortable, but only every other day, same amount. Does this sound right?

Also, he said they have their stingers, but no venom. Is this correct as well?

Yep, I'm new to this, as you can tell, but they are awesome and we love them already.

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
If they're Hystrix and eating shrimp you've been lucky twice. Any ray that's healthy and eating well will eat much more than that and most of us probably feed at least twice a day.

If they don't take shrimp you'll need to find something they will accept like black worms or red wrigglers and convert them to shrimp etc. later.

If you post pics we can tell you if you really got Hystrix or if you got conned (happens a lot).

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
You need to feed way more especially depending on size of the rays, sorry to say he gave you some faults information. If they are eating shrimp cut them into small pieces and let them eat as much as they can when feeding once a day, I give them 10 min to eat that food, then remove the extra and throw away, if they are not eating shrimp go to store and buy earth worms cut them up really fine and feed those the same as much as they can eat.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CaymanMoon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Well, when we first picked em out, they were trained to hand feed. Those two were sold before we could grab them. They ordered two more for us. I have seen one eat frozen shrimp, and both ate live ghost shrimp. They never mentioned any kind of worms. So I should definitely feed more often? They are small, ones about 6 one's probably 7.

Do they have venom?

Sent from my HTC One X using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1361052206148.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1361052227266.jpg

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Oh and don't hand feed them. Get the to eat food, maybe after a few months then if you so chose do as you wish at your own risk, but at the rate your talking your going to kill them, and yes they will hurt you.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Looking at the pics they need way more food. feed them now and lots they look like they are going to die soon if you dont

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
Those look like retics. And yes they have a poisoned barb.

Yes, feed them as much as they can eat in one sitting.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

CaymanMoon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks guys, I spent two hours talking to the fish guy... I watched the lady feed them by hand (the original ones we wanted) I am more concerned they live though. I have a long piece of tube I use to feed now.

Any tips to get them to find food better or coax them to it? They pretty much ignore it. How many times should I offer food?

Thanks for sharing the knowledge, I need it!

CaymanMoon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Does the fact that they were shipped Tuesday, lfs Wednesday, my aquarium Thursday have anything to do with why they aren't eating well? I though Mayne they are still stressed from all the travel and need a few days to adjust. I'm super worried about them now :(

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
very knowledgable man at the store (seems so anyway), told me to feed them one time a day, frozen shrimp, half a pinky nail amount. He said to do this for a week or two until they are comfortable, then I could hand feed

Also, he said they have their stingers, but no venom.
Knowledgable?!?? Wow. Try earth worms chopped very small always worked for me. May need to put in a divider till eating well. So what size tank did he tell you they can live in?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store