kinda need some support ideas!! please help me out????

jkusnierz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2013
United States, Massachusetts
Okay so here is my dilemma i currently have a 125 gallon Mbuna set up and im just not to "thrilled" with it i have plenty of fish and rock-work most of the fish are small and not growing too fast, but that is not the main thing, lately i just find the tank boring very boring. I have been doing a lot of reading in different forums here on MFK and i see folks talk about a true CA biotope i have plenty of driftwood, rock etc. I love firemouths and now seeing people talk about cichlids like the salvini makes me want to do a change to my 125. I would have to get a few other types fish but i see some your these tanks on here and i just fall in love with them. I just have no idea what to do.. The other thing with the Mbunas is i am and have been waiting (9+ weeks) to get more species to make the tank seem as real as possible and with a ton of color and with these missing species i feel like giving up on the whole set up and try something new. If any of you reading this can please tell me what would you do and give some pros and cons. Just encase you are wondering i have plenty filtration over 1100 gph then i have a circulating pump that does 1050 gph. for lighting i have the Marineland doublestrip LED. PLEASE help!!!!

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
its ur tank do what you like... if you want to switch up then switch up... Mind you your tank currently is someone elses fall in love tank idea too i bet... Pics ? lol

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I have both types of tanks. My 300 is a mixed CE/SA community and my 135 is an Mbuna setup. I didnt find the mbuna to be overly interesting early on either, but once the fish hit the 3-6" mark, things got real interesting. It's my most active tank by far, and some of my bigger fish are brutal to each other, which is where the overstocking comes into play. It helps a lot, but you have to monitor water conditions a lot more closely because you are pushing the envelope, but for a purpose. Everyone gets lost in the crowd for the most part. Getting a much lower male to female ratio is another big help.

The 300 is a totally different vibe. Fewer and bigger fish, and the spats are fewer and farther between. You get some flaring but no real fighting. I love this tank for different reasons. The fish in this tank are a bit more connected to the visit. Once you get past the feeding response, the fish in here will hang out and chill and interact.....

Really depends on personal preference. I couldn't decide ......did both.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store