New Era fish pellets: thoughts?

ColeFishing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2012
Ohio
According to the salesmen at my LFS today, this brand of pellets known as "new era" is now coming to the states. He talked about how it's the most used pellet for public aquariums and such. He was giving out samples today and i took some. It is a strange type of pellet because you can mold it together and it's very soft. so for bigger fish, you can make a bigger pellet, or for smaller fish you can just tear apart the already-small pellet. So far i really like it, and so do my fish. sometimes it takes a while to get my fish on new types of pellets, but not this time. Even my payara was eating them. and he has never eaten a pellet(by itself) before! Can anyone tell me if these are good or not? they seem suspicious. Mostly because they are not hard like other pellets but very soft and moist. also what are just some general thoughts on the pellet?

otmmy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2013
Alberta,Canada
Haha that is so funny today i went to the petstore and one of the works said the same thing and i ended up buying some of the rift lake red ones.

MakuCentauri

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
Australia
These are great. I've been using the SA Cichlid and the Plec pellets for about 6 months. The moisture thing is intended - they bake them at lower temps and leave more moisture in them. The idea is that it makes the pellets easier to digest and retains more nutrients.

There's really only so much you can learn from reading lists of ingredients, but my fish really love this brand - the just devour it and look really healthy so I figure it must be good. Oddly, my big Jag loves the Plec pellets and eats them almost exclusively.

I still mix in some hard pellets, but I seriously recommend the New Era stuff. The only minor downside I've discovered is the Plec pellets (but not the cichlid ones) do cloud the water a little for a bit after they go in the tank.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Ill stick to NLS. Look at first ingredient----fishmeal which is kinda of a by product. Nls uses whole krill then whole herring--which is easily digested by fish. Protein is kinda high too if feeding African cichlids. Just my 2 cents but I will stick with my NLS.

seel1990

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
uk
I don't live too far from where new era is manufactured. I have tried it. It's ok. The pellets are moist but the ingredient list says it all. I will as well stick to nls.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store