Mixing food

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
Does anyone else mix multiple foods in one container?

I have bottom feeders such as a catfish and knifefish, an arowanna which is a top feeding carnivoure, tinfoil barbs and rainbow cichlids which eat mainly plant matter. Because of this variety of fish I like to feed multiple types of food. I have one container and mix floating cichlids gold, carnivoure sticks, Spartula, shrimp pellets, hakari carnivoure pellets, as well as other types of food.

I don't make the same combination each time I just put in whatever I feel like at the moments. I think this makes feeding eaiser and offers a variety of food.

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
The nls fans will tell you that if you use a high quality pellet there is no need to do this.....but personally I mix pellets and add krill to give my fish a variety, because I wouldn't want to eat the same thing everyday, and in the wild your fish wouldn't eat the same thing everyday.

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
The nls fans will tell you that if you use a high quality pellet there is no need to do this.....but personally I mix pellets and add krill to give my fish a variety, because I wouldn't want to eat the same thing everyday, and in the wild your fish wouldn't eat the same thing everyday.
I not only do this to offer variety but to reduce compition in the tank. I figure each fish will eat what they want instead of fighting for the same food.

This is also a great way to get rid of crappy food. I have this special food for parrot fish which most of my fish won't eat so I sneak it in with the cocktail of foods.

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
I keep fish from 4-11" together so i have to mix a small sinking pellet with larger floating pellet. Ive also mixed food when i have multiple kinds of flakes and different tanks need a different diet. I have tanks all over the place so its easier to mix individual diets in zip lock baggies and leave them next to the tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jkusnierz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2013
United States, Massachusetts
i do it. i think it help keep fish health. and this way its more spread out with some floating and some going to the bottom feeders. but i do mix high quality food such as NLS and omega (im a big fan of omega foods)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store