Filter Flow rate for saltwater 80L tank

Billytehan

Feeder Fish
Feb 8, 2013
Drysdale, Victoria, Australia
Hi everyone,
I have an 80L saltwater Fish Only With Live Rock (FOWLR) tank.
I am torn between a fluval C3 and a fluval C4. Both HOB filters, c3 has 580L/Hr, C4 has 1000L/Hr flow rates.

I understand that having live rock is a filter by itself, but would live to polish the water, remove some of the nitrates.

any suggestions welcome.

Billy.

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
It is my understanding that a turnover rate of 5x/hr is industry standard for freshwater, minimum and marine tanks are closer to double that.
To reduce nitrate, some kind of nitrate absorbing media could be used or plants. One could even purchase a nitrate reductor.
If it were my tank, I would go with the C4.

Anchovie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
Jersey Shore
To supplement your live rock I would run a simple protein skimmer (around 100$) and a canister (maybe a marineland c360) that way you can take the bioballs out and add a polishing pad. Using hob filters for sw leads to having salt all over the place. Canisters are closed systems with very little salt creep.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
To supplement your live rock I would run a simple protein skimmer (around 100$) and a canister (maybe a marineland c360) that way you can take the bioballs out and add a polishing pad. Using hob filters for sw leads to having salt all over the place. Canisters are closed systems with very little salt creep.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
That is a very good point.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store