My first tropical fish in years ... and he gets Ich!

superdude200

Feeder Fish
Feb 18, 2013
England
Hello people

I am new here and also have a rather new tank.

It is a 420 Liter tank and i got it September last year and all i have had in it are goldfish until last Sunday and i went and bought a beauty of a platinum flower horn with nice red eyes and hes about 6" in size.

It seems to have already developed a few spots of ich yet the water has tested fine but i am assuming it has something to do with the stress of moving to a new tank. I have already upped the temp and added some salt but he is so active in comparison to what he was in the pet shop.

One question any one have a clue how long it takes for ich to develop on fish because i brought him home Sunday its now Monday I'm assuming he may of had it, or would it of been in his water from the pet shop, or could it of been in my tank and he caught it within the first 24 hours?

I have not had any tropical fish for about 10 years now so I'm a little rusty.

20130218_175335.jpg

20130218_175335.jpg

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Beautiful fish. Ich could be in the system of the LFS or the system of the place you got it. Ich can and usually does manifest when the fish is stressed, such as a move to a new environment. Don't be afraid to use an Ich med such as RidIck or Ich-Attack.
It is always a good idea to quarantine a new fish in a smaller tank that is dosed with the proper medication for a week or two. It isnt convenient always but it is cheap insurance.
Remember that the Ich parasite takes 14 days in cooler water to complete its life cycle. So, just because the white spots disappear, doesn't mean Ich is out of the tank. Bump that temp up to 85-86 at least and keep salting the tank, at least 2tbsp/5g minimum. Lots of info online about fighting Ich.
Again, nice fish.

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
+1 I brought an group of oscars once and 1 of them was riddled with ick, I could barley see him threw it and didn't think there was no way he would make it but after a week of heat and salt treatment he was perfect again so don't get disheartened. Like the OP said you can also use meds but I would suggest using a bubbler, especially if you are using a mix of treatments. Good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

superdude200

Feeder Fish
Feb 18, 2013
England
I'm using 2 300w heaters but they cant get the water any higher than 85.5 hopefully that will do.

Hes a retarded lil thing gave him some tetra sticks loves em gave him some frozen food thawed it out ate it spat it out and left it.

Also how would a school of 5 fully grown flying fox be with him that are amazing algae eater so i would really like a few that wouldn't fit in his mouth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store