Feeding Market Shrimp

mattstevens1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2012
deer park ny
Like many people on this forum I like to feed my fish market shrimp once or twice a week. My question is... When you guys feed them to your fish do you take the tails and the "outer shell" off and just feed them the meat or do you just throw the whole shrimp in there?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have fish that will eat them either way....My armatus takes them shells and all but my ST will make a mess and spit the shell out so I will peel the shell off most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mattstevens1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2012
deer park ny
I have fish that will eat them either way....My armatus takes them shells and all but my ST will make a mess and spit the shell out so I will peel the shell off most of the time.

See my fish will swallow it whole regardless but for some reason the shell always ends up on the base of the tank but I thought the shell of the shrimp is what will really bring out the color in the fish? maybe my fish are just picky idk :3

808_fairladyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Hilo, Hawaii
I used to shell them, but my Achara's have grown so large that it doesn't really matter anymore. I noticed nothing out of the ordinary since.

My Xbox gamer tag: xXclusive808x. Run & gun baby!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
See my fish will swallow it whole regardless but for some reason the shell always ends up on the base of the tank but I thought the shell of the shrimp is what will really bring out the color in the fish? maybe my fish are just picky idk :3
I have heard that before but I think it depends on the type of shrimp.Market shrimp to my knowledge are a saltwater species which wouldn't be the type that tropical fish would eat and benefit from in the wild.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
I feed my fish shrimp with the tails and shells on. I remove the heads. I just cut them with a scissors for smaller fish.

I have had aros and other fish not like the shells so it all just depends on what your fish like.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Anchovie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
Jersey Shore
Shells on for most nutrition. Heads on is even better. The meat itself is mostly protein but the shell has all kinds of useful stuff that is even used in multivitamins for us.

baji

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2012
Chennai, India
It really depends on ur fish and its size... Big monster size fish means feed them whole with shell... If its small like oscar and other cichlids means remove the head and tail and deshell it before u feed...

MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store