rekindled old member

Kaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2006
ohio
Hi everyone!

okay, so I've actually been a member of MFK since about five years ago. At that time I had Four tanks. a 55, two 29's and a ten. I had a huge variety from Hujeta Gar to cichlids, to crayfish and even a large mouth bass. 4 years ago i sold all of my stuff when my wife and I were buying our house, and I've missed it since. Now i've gotten back on MFK because my wonderful wife just bought me another 55 gal tank for valentine's day!

So I got it all set up with just a couple fish in it till it is really ready to add some fish. So now comes the fun yet tricky part. What fish?? I've been kicking around several ideas. I thought about getting some more hujeta gar, they were quite fun but that requires a feeder tank and what not. I'm not sure I'm quite ready for that again yet. I'm strongly thinking about doing a cichlid tank. they are great fish with great personalities in my experience. i have some questions I'm researching though. I have only had SA cichlids, no African. so I'm trying to find out are the africans as good as the american counterparts. they have great looking colors, but do they have the great personalities and fun factor as the SA's that I have experience with?

Other than possibly doing Africans I am considering this list of fish for my tank:

2 firemouth
1 green terror
2 convicts
silver cat

is there any chance of successfully adding a red devil?

What do you guys think of these fish together, and any thoughts on the African cichlids would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys, glad to be back to the community

TankDempsey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2012
Third rock from the sun
IME african cichlids aren't as personable as CA/SA cichlids. The dominant male hides a lot and is very territorial but the young ones still beg for food. There are exceptions to this however and some say it is a matter of the individual fish you buy.

Red Devils grow too large for a 55 and would terrorize the stock you mentioned. The green terror along with the two pairs might be too much and a convict pair with anything in their size range is risky. What do you mean by silver cat?

Kaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2006
ohio
The silver cat is a silver shark. at least in my area that is what they are always called. It is not a bala shark, it is a catfish, i have never quite figured out exactly what kind.

I wasn't to hopeful on the red devil, I've read too many stories about them, but you never know what combo might come out okay. I had a convict, a firemouth and a tiger oscar before with no problems, but i had to get rid of my tank before they reached full maturity.

TankDempsey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2012
Third rock from the sun
I had an Oscar, a convict and a JD in a 55 before they reached full maturity, sold the O right before there were problems. Its only a matter of time in that small of a tank. Now if you had say a 125 for instance it would be a different story.

MidWestMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2013
Lancaster, Ohio
I have a 90 gallon mixed mbuna tank with about 30 mbuna fish. I find them to be very personable. A few shy away from the front on aproach where others shoot to the top to beg. They'll follow you from one end to the next like many other fish, and are very interactive with eachother. Once settled in they kind of develope a social ladder. Not quite as aggressive as I was told, I built lots of cave and hiding places, I keep a syndontis, three pictus cats, a few plecos and even a spiny eel with them

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Kaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2006
ohio
I just made a discovery on the "silver shark". looks like it is a columbian shark, and as it matures it requires brackish water. I think i might have to return this little guy. seems like a failing on the lfs to sell them as fresh water. I had a couple years ago but never researched them, I just figured they were a typical catfish.

rdKirby

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2013
Texas
Two words, three syllables ...yep, Red Devil. Then again I have one so I'm kinda biased. Ha

TankDempsey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2012
Third rock from the sun
I just made a discovery on the "silver shark". looks like it is a columbian shark, and as it matures it requires brackish water. I think i might have to return this little guy. seems like a failing on the lfs to sell them as fresh water. I had a couple years ago but never researched them, I just figured they were a typical catfish.
Petsmart does this on purpose so they can sell them.

Kaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2006
ohio
Oh jeez, i am no pro, but i certainly know better than to buy at pet smart. lol. our local one has tanks full of snails and dead fish.

how about a Delhazi bachir with some of these other guys i've mentioned. interesting thought...:feedback:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store