Fish & reptile tanks

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
What's a sure fire way to tell the difference in fish and reptile tanks.

I was in the thrift shop earlier looking for some tanks for my breeding projects. Found a 15 and 20 long for $14 each. Both had screen tops (wasn't built in) and fairly thin glass. Probably no thicker then picture frame glass. Would these tanks be an example of what to look for in reptile tanks?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
Yeah. I think the adhesive used is also an indicator but ill let others chime in. Also the top black rim on some reptile tank can be very different.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
No difference on the small tanks. It's on the larger ones that the glass is not thick enough to support the weight of a full volume of water.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
The 15 had a almost jade green silicone the other looked to have very poorly resealed. I know the newer retile tanks have the screen tops built in to the black trim.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
No difference on the small tanks. It's on the larger ones that the glass is not thick enough to support the weight of a full volume of water.
Ok good to know. Idk if I want to chance it cause my current 15 has about double the glass thickness.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Could it be that these tanks are old and that's why the glass is so thin. They looked to be at least 10 yrs old or older.

CrypticLifeStyle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2009
Boston MA - Humarock MA
Thick glass tends to be the older tanks, thinner newer. But there is different reptile tanks for those sizes. If its picture glass thin, it can be iffy. Is it thinner then you'd see on a new 10 gal?.
By the poor sealing i wouldnt even bother.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Thick glass tends to be the older tanks, thinner newer. But there is different reptile tanks for those sizes. If its picture glass thin, it can be iffy. Is it thinner then you'd see on a new 10 gal?.
By the poor sealing i wouldnt even bother.
Yeah a lot thinner. The new 10s are the same thickness of my 15. These looked to be super thin I thought I was gunna brake it when I lifted it by the side panel.

If the tanks are still there today I will take a pic.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
It's about the same thickness as the sheet of glass on top of my 15. Might slightly thicker by a mm. ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1361377221.478281.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store