Can my floor handle it?

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
So I am planning on getting a Larger Tank for my stock, and i have an ideal area that I would like to put it! But I dont know if my floor is strong enough to hold it. I'm afraid it may cause damage. Currently The ideal area holds a 55 gallon tank. I have yet to see the problem. The new tank will roughly be 275 gallons. its 76x27x31 in dimension. (or thats atleast what im telling the custom tank makers to build). How do I know that the floor is strong enough to hold it?
As for the type of flooring I have they are sort of like porcelain Tiles. I can post a picture up later but as for now I would like to know if my floor can handle it... I have a piano on the same floor, and its on hard wood... and there doesnt seem to be any problems... But a 275 gallon tank is more than likely heavier... Not to mention that the tank will come with a sump pump, stand and canopy... So thats just added weight... So please... I would like to hear everyone's thoughts. (Please no flaming.)

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
is there a way for me to check the sub floor?
Hello;
I suspect that the things to check are the floor joists (if your place has them) a bit more than the subfloor. The part of a floor often refered to as a subfloor is often boards or sheets of OSB/plywood that rest directly on the floor joists and are covered by plywood, carpet, hardwood flooring or in your case tiles.

That you appear to not be aware of these terms suggests that you may need to bring in someone with experience to actually look at the structure of the place. A good contractor should know enough to give an educated opinion, with a structrual engineer likely being a better choice if you can afford their services.

There should be a basement or crawl space under the floor for access. Your place may also be on a slab of concrete which would likely be the best situation.

The link in a previous post is a good place to start.

I usually estimate around 12 pounds per gallon for the larger tanks. Your 3600 pound estimate seems about right. If you have a piano in the area that and any other heavy things will need to be added to the load.
Good luck

Judge Holden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2010
Milwaukee
A good contractor should know enough to give an educated opinion, with a structurual engineer likely being a better choice if you can afford their services.
Absolutely. Their services will be much cheaper than any potential damage. I'd get the opinion of an expert for anything over 125.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Agreed. I wouldn't place 3600 lbs dead weight on a 15 sq foot area without consulting a structural engineer or an architect first unless it was directly on a concrete slab. They can review the room, advise you on how to position the tank and advise you on possible inexpensive structural improvements to make it safer (if needed.)

rusty2012

Feeder Fish
Jan 18, 2013
n/a
better make sure you run across the joist it spreeds the weight evenly across the joist if you run with the joist you might literally be resting on one joist then it could rip threw the floor as far as ceramic tile when weight is on it it can crack easily if your sub floor is concrete youre good to go

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store