hunger strike...

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
Hi guys. Was wondering if its normal for gars to stop eating? I have a spotted/Florida around 9-10 inches long, was previously eating shrimp, prawn, mussel and the odd massivore. Oh and live river shrimp when I get them. Recently though, maybe the past week he has eaten next to nothing. Occasionally picks something up, but drops it without eating. Water checks out fine, nitrates 20-30. Temp 24-25. 25% weekly water change. He has also started to spend alot of time at the top of the tank (not gasping at the surface, just hanging out higher in the water column) whereas before he would spend majority of the time chilling on the bottom. Tank is a 75, (180 with 60 sump ordered and due any week now) with heavy filtration and moderate flow. I've not added any new fish and none of the existing fish are bothering him. Also, no visible signs of injury disease other than lack of appetite. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks :)

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Keep checking water for anything, check for anything that might need meds, if they start to really get starved looking thing about using meds. Sometimes fish just dont eat for a while though it seems. But its mostly because of something.

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
before I left for work he had little 'episode' rolled on to his back righted himself. then he made an s shape out of himself before poking his nose in the sand. then he went back to his usual position as if nothing happened. I dont think it bodes well. just a feeling and hope im wrong but I cant help thinking his days are numbered. what would I look for to need medication? other than the usual fish ailments? would adding salt for a time help? if so how much and stupid question does it have to be special tonic salt or will regular marine salt do as I have some kicking around. are there any fish you shouldnt use salt with? birchirs, IT's, barbs, hoplo cats, rainbow snakehead, bumblebee cats and leopard bushfish are tankmates.
thankyou.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
oh and water is ok. I took a sample to lfs and got it tested to make sure I wasnt screwing the test up myself. all other fish are fine too which makes me think illness of some sort :(

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
ips? do you mean internal parasites? what can be done about that if anything?

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
Thanks for that. Will have to find a UK equivalent, can't seem to find either online. How do I know if internal parasites are in fact to blame though? Don't want to unnecessarily dose for wrong reasons. Would I dose the whole tank in case others are carrying but not showing symptoms?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store