Geophagus Altifron courting?

baseballman1321

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2010
usa
i was just watching my tanks for about 30 minutes and i noticed this behavior going on i was just wondering if it is aggression or courting. i have never seen this fish get angry before but he sure did look cool when he was flaring. [YT]wNOKUuQeYvY&list[/YT]

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
He's flirting. Usually if she's receptive they'll meet head on with their gills flared and kind of bow to each other. Sometimes they'll flare their fins and gills and swim circles really fast around each other. Their swimming gets really fast and erratic when they're courting/spawning which surprised me, because it's so different from the geos' usual laid back, lazy attitudes.

baseballman1321

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2010
usa
He's flirting. Usually if she's receptive they'll meet head on with their gills flared and kind of bow to each other. Sometimes they'll flare their fins and gills and swim circles really fast around each other. Their swimming gets really fast and erratic when they're courting/spawning which surprised me, because it's so different from the geos' usual laid back, lazy attitudes.
yea she doesnt seem to be to interested haha. this is the first time seeing this behavoir so maybe down the road she'll give in, maybe not doesnt really matter to me. But thanks for the info.

baseballman1321

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2010
usa
Over a year later of the male doing his dance every so often it seems as if the female has finally gave in they are both clearing a rock and flaring up at each other. Not saying their going to spawn but maybe the female wasn't mature a year ago when the male was flirting with her that's why she showed no interest. I will put up a video tomorrow after school :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store