90 gallon shallow question

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
Hello everyone! So me and my dad have been talking about making a 90 gallon shallow reef aquarium for awhile and we will be making it ourselves. The dimensions of this build will be 72x18x16 with 1/2 inch thick glass. My question is, we are going to have the overflow drilled in but we are also going to have to make the overflow ourselves too so my question is does anyone know what the dimensions of the overflow should be and how big the hole should be? Also how many gallons per hour should the flow be for the return pump? Any suggestions for a good pump? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
I would go with a 1 1/2" hole for the overflow. Your overflow determines the size of the pump you need. You don't want to pump more water out of your sump than the overflow lets in. A mag 12 pump (1,200 gph) should work fine.

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
I would go with a 1 1/2" hole for the overflow. Your overflow determines the size of the pump you need. You don't want to pump more water out of your sump than the overflow lets in. A mag 12 pump (1,200 gph) should work fine.
Ok, thanks a lot! And if I went with the mag 12 (which I probably will) what would the dimensions of the overflow be? I plan on having it in the middle of the tank, not on the side.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
Try the overflow calculator on reefcentral. Somebody might know the answer there if you asked too

Sent from my HTC One V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store