What's wrong with my Florida Gar?

Glasman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2009
Kentucky
So i got this Gar about a month and a half ago, he was in rough shape, didn't eat for 2 weeks, finally started eating feeders and shrimp pellets, started to put on some weight and look alot better, then I woke up yesterday to him laying on the bottom and his back all crooked like its been broke somehow. Anyone ever seen something like this?

gar.jpg

Glasman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2009
Kentucky
Oh yea, he is about 12 inches long, living in a 220 with an Oscar, Blood Parrot, Longear Sunfish, BUllhead Cat, and Softshell turtle. No aggression observed. Filtration is an FX5, and 2 Emperor 400's.

Vanimal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2012
Florida
When Gars get spooked they can dart really fast across the tank. If a tank is to large for the size of the gar it is possible they can pick up enough speed to break their backs when they hit the glass which is probably what happened to yours.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
When Gars get spooked they can dart really fast across the tank. If a tank is to large for the size of the gar it is possible they can pick up enough speed to break their backs when they hit the glass which is probably what happened to yours.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
^This.

Sorry man. Some do live though.

Glasman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2009
Kentucky
He is still alive, lays around mostly, but does still swim at times, havent seen him eat since. Think he will survive?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Unfortunately the odds are probably against him but if he swimming around at all then I suppose there is reason to hope. That looks pretty bad tho. Sorry man, hope he pulls thru somehow.

I keep seeing these broken back threads and it really drives home the importance of adequate space and proper husbandry with these fish. My gar is solo in his tank and i think I'll leave him that way unless I'm adding other gar. Not a shot at you, just a thought. Best of luck to you and your fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Glasman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2009
Kentucky
I knew someone would blame tankmates, hence the reason i stated no aggression. The Oscar is the only one who ever bullies anyone, and thats just the Blood Parrot. The Softshell is a loaner and never bothers anyone, not even feeders.

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
I knew someone would blame tankmates, hence the reason i stated no aggression. The Oscar is the only one who ever bullies anyone, and thats just the Blood Parrot. The Softshell is a loaner and never bothers anyone, not even feeders.

I think he means 1 of them spooked the gar rather than aggression, I agree with everyone else about him spooking and hurting himself, hope he pulls threw for you, best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store