Betta community tank

Pearadise

Feeder Fish
Feb 23, 2013
Illinois
Could you keep male and female bettas together in a heavily planted 75 to hundred gallon tank? if so how many? i think it would look very interesting and would give the male enough room to move around and the females enough room to live and groups and hide. and then they could breed via natural selection? thoughts?

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Eventually the male will kill the females when hes done with them. It would be best to keep a single male and female vs 1 male to multiple females. My wife keeps 3 bettas scattered around the house in decorative vase's.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are a number of wild type betta species that can be kept together, although if you are thinking Betta splendens you would need a very large aquarium, with many females.
I keep a pair of Betta albimarginata and a group of Betta edithae in a 50 gal without problems.

male albimarginata above, female below

edithae below

probassfisher010

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2011
California
I've heard of this being successful with huge female to male ratios, and using males with long tails that restrict speed. Probably 10-15+ females and 1-3 males max, the more females, the more males you can have.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mopani

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
Earth
no females with your "pretty" betta males. I see this end in disaster all the time

BassetsForBrown

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2012
Boston
I have kept one male Betta with 5 females in a 55g tank. It's going on two years now. But from what I've read, and heard of other's experiences, it's uncommon for them all to live in harmony like this.

Very beautiful fish, it's terrible how often they are maltreated though. Every time I see them housed in a 6oz cup at a fish store I get the urge to lock the owner in a telephone booth for a week.

Tone123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2013
Canada
One male with a group of femals should work. Keep some betta jars on hand just incase things end in desaster

Amali

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2013
Singapore
No harm trying it out man. I agree with the ideas of long-tailed splendens also with larger group females.

I have 3 bettas in my small indoor pond of comets and so far, only minor tearing of fins. The bigger sized will be the one harassing the others. Uhh... Put in females and a week later they're gone! Couldn't catch what happened though. Could've been sucked in by the filter. Anyways, your plan sounds like fun. Keep updating when you decide to try it out.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
in a tank that sized and heavily planted you may even be able ot get away with 2 males. don't listen to the hype. cichlids are way more aggressive then bettas. the problem is cichlids cant be confined in small prisons. the losing betta cant escape. put two red devils in a 20g and see how that goes. now put them in a 200 and see the difference

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store