What is the Pound 4 Pound toughest/nastiest cichlid

GS1981

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
England
If all Cichlids were made of equal size, say at 6" what would be the meanest Cichlid of them all?

I think a bull male Convict would be up there, i had one that killed a Salvini in the past of equal size in a CA Community tank.

rdKirby

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2013
Texas
Gonna have to say red devil. When I picked mine up from the lfs they said he had killed 4 of his tank mates in a week. Which were JD's.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Not a Central or South American, but I'd go with Lamprologus ocellatus. Tiny shell dweller from Lake Tanganyika (around 2"). Fiercely defends its fry. Bit me a few times, and it hurt. LOL! Couldn't imagine what one would be like if it grew to a larger size like some of the bigger cichlids.

Anchovie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
Jersey Shore
Not dovii. Red devils are meaner ime. Convicts are def up there pound for pound. 5 star generals are up there too. But honestly I've had a channel catfish go through cichlids like toilet paper, only to be sucked half to death by a pleco. The world is a strange place.
Also toughest and nastiest are different attributes. It's tough to find a fish that can take a whippin like an Oscar, although they aren't really considered nasty, I would label them tough.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

levush

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2012
philadelphia
Ill add my 2¢ to this...how about a buterkoferi ( sorry if I spelled it wrong lol)

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store