Portland Oregon Aquarium Co-owner Arrested

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
Oregon, it's part of 'Murica!
http://www.koinlocal6.com/news/loca...-have-permits-for/_Xl_Ou-CEEWVt14D3qt46Q.cspx

The co-owner of the Portland Aquarium in Milwaukie was arrested Thursday in Boise on charges of illegally harvesting marine life.

Ammon Covino, president of the Idaho Aquarium, and Christopher Conk, Idaho Aquarium secretary, were arrested Thursday.

Prosecutors in Idaho say the men bought four illegally harvested spotted eagle rays and two lemon sharks for approximately $6,300 and transported them to Idaho.

The men are each charged with one count of conspiracy and three counts of illegal purchase and sale of fish or wildlife. If convicted under the Lacey Act, they face up to five years in prison for each count. The federal Lacey Act makes it unlawful for any person to import, export, transport, sell, receive, acquire or purchase -- in interstate or foreign commerce -- any fish or wildlife taken, possessed or transported, or sold in violation of any law or regulation of any state.

They are accused of harvesting the animals from the Atlantic coast off southern Florida.

In December, Ammon Covino and his brother, Vince Covino, opened the Portland Aquarium at a former Black Angus Steakhouse on Southeast McLoughlin Boulevard. The 11,000-square-foot building sits on a 2-acre site.

Of the 2,200 different species currently inside the Portland Aquarium, not one requires a permit by the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. However, the two exhibits that are vacant, for Puffins and River Otters, do.

The Portland Aquarium advertises the exhibits will open this spring.

However, when KOIN Local 6 talked to ODFW officials Friday they said the Portland Aquarium has yet to apply for permits for either of the animal varieties still to come. ODFW officials say they told Portland Aquarium owners, and staff members, of the steps to take to get the permits -- back in December.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Makes everyone see that its just not us who cant have some stuff but the actual aquariums as well have to dodge some stuff and go through hoops.

Thelatinofishlover

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2012
Mexico City
good ole' oregon how i miss you :)

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
good ole' oregon how i miss you :)
Good ole' Mexico City, how I miss you. :) Come to think of it, I'll stick with Oregon.... :ROFL:

I hope this doesn't end up shutting down the Portland Aquarium before I have a chance to go there!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store