wow the stealth

-Asianguy-

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2006
Honolulu
So it took about a week for the stealth to come in from dr.foster&smith.com

but i have to say i'm very happy about it. i put 2 250 watt heaters in my 55 and went back out. in about 5 hours i came home to see the temp went up 10 degrees. I'm pretty happy. now it looks like its about 82*

thanks for all your imput guys.

freeskierrocket

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
SouthEast, PA, USA
-Asianguy-;666490; said:
So it took about a week for the stealth to come in from dr.foster&smith.com

but i have to say i'm very happy about it. i put 2 250 watt heaters in my 55 and went back out. in about 5 hours i came home to see the temp went up 10 degrees. I'm pretty happy. now it looks like its about 82*

thanks for all your imput guys.
best heaters out there, i have a bunch of them!!!!:D :headbang2 :headbang2

prophets

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2006
USA
:WHOA: 2 250watt for a 55g? Thats a lot of wattage for a tank that size.
I only have 1 in my 55 and it maintains a constant 80F and I'm from the East coast where its in the 30's right now.

You might want to remove one of the heaters otherwise it may "boil" your fish. :grinno:

All you really need is about 4-5watt per gallon and a single 250watt is right on the mark for a 55g.

Also, you're right the Stealth's are sweet..got 2-250's in my 125g tank..and it mainitains a 80F...plus it matches my black background. :headbang2

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
The Stealth are definitely great heaters!

AtomixIGN

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2006
Pohatcong, NJ
No no no, 2 heaters in a long tank is the way to be. Set one at 80 and the other one at 79.5

I keep mine at 77 and 76 and switch them when I clean the tank. I had one heater go on me one and that was it. NEVER AGAIN!

prophets

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2006
USA
Yeah..if its a 6 footer or bigger. 55g is 4ft. With 500 watts, thats overkill unless the tank is in the garage that is cold. Thats almost 10watts per gallon.:eek:

My 55g has only 1 250 and it maintains a temp of 79-80 and I'm in NY..plus tank is in my basement. But the test will be this friday/weekend when temps are around 26 here.:naughty:

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
dont they have a build in thermostat?

i would think that even if you use two, if you set it to say....82F

i would think that if you set them both to 82 they would shut off once they reached 82 and turn on every now and then to regulate the temperature....:confused: :screwy:

-Asianguy-

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2006
Honolulu
DeLgAdO;667914; said:
dont they have a build in thermostat?

i would think that even if you use two, if you set it to say....82F

i would think that if you set them both to 82 they would shut off once they reached 82 and turn on every now and then to regulate the temperature....:confused: :screwy:

yeah guys. thats exactly what i did.

i'm thinking 2 heaters would work less than just 1. plus the thermostat would regulate the temp. as long as i keep a check on the thermometer all is well. only thing is i don't know if one heater breaks. oh well.

but i did reach in and feel he heater to see if it was working. and all is well. I'm guessing the air in my apt is at a low 70 degrees and it reflected on the water temprature prior to the heaters.

the onlything i don't like now is that with the warm water it seems to condensate under the top lid.
I also got another 250watt for my 20 gallon tank. I figure what the heck minus well.

-Asianguy-

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2006
Honolulu
prophets;667908; said:
Yeah..if its a 6 footer or bigger. 55g is 4ft. With 500 watts, thats overkill unless the tank is in the garage that is cold. Thats almost 10watts per gallon.:eek:

My 55g has only 1 250 and it maintains a temp of 79-80 and I'm in NY..plus tank is in my basement. But the test will be this friday/weekend when temps are around 26 here.:naughty:
watts per gallon is either a guide line or a avg break down of whats being run. but i'd rather have the heater working less because it has a parter to back it up.

if the heater was $50 or more then i would only beable to afford just one. You live in newyork. i live in hawaii. a 200 watt heater at the pet store ran $40+ and it wasn't even a highly recomended one. So with my mentality I oppted for 2 of em (3 total). I even had to pay for extra on the shipping. but i still got a better deal than if i got them localy.

I don't see how 2 is over kill as long as the temperature is the same out come.

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Usually people get two lower wattage heaters to avoid fish cooking if one sticks on. Two 250's is over kill in a warmish room, and there's is no safety if one sticks on as it is more the able to warm the water in a 55 pretty high. Ya won't need to worry about one sticking off though (this happens less then one sticking on in my experience.)

If that 250w in the 20 gallon sticks the temp will probably hit 95+ in a hurry.

I use stealths myself, and have had 2 fail within 4 months of purchasing them, but I under watt my heaters and caught it before the temp got to high. The life time warranty is great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store