Oily and sharp Black Diamond substrate?

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
So I wanted a black substrate without the aquarium marketed price tag, so I bought 3 bags of Black Diamond 20/40 sandblasting abrasive after reading a lot about it. I read dozens of forums before making my purchase (most people seemed to be of the thought that it is okay for use in aquariums).

Well the sand looks a little angular and I am a bit concerned about using it because I will have geophagus red head tapajos in the tank. I started washing the first bag of sand and noticed an oily residue on top of the water. I immediately noticed some black residue on my fingers. Well I stopped and looked it up online. Got 3-4 forum pages in and everyone said its normal and recommended a few ways of cleaning it up. So I continued washing. Got half way through the second bag and got a cut on my finger as I was sweeping my hand through the bucket to stir everything up. The cut didn't break the skin, so I kept going. Less than a minute later, a piece of sand got caught between my finger and the bucket wall and actually impaled me. The sliver of sand was buried under the surface of my skin like a wooden splinter. I easily got it out, but have stopped washing the sand (at least for now).

I am basically looking for some advice on whether to continue with the black sand as planned or to scrub the sediment project in favor of something that will not end up killing my geos (which are not going to be cheap). I can kind of understand how the sand splinter happened since it was between my finger and the bucket and I was applying pressure to sweep my hand through the sand to stir it up, but it is still concerning.

Any thoughts? I have gotten good advice on here so far and I trust many of the members on here.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
It's fine

Sent from my VS840 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
there are pictures on this site showing shards of a glass like substance taken from black diamond sand. I would not use it.
I recommend colorquartz, S grade. you might find it local, try calling pool construction companies. it's discontinued, but I have found some in california, only thing that's kept me from ordering is the shipping. $50. a bag.
there are new versions- spectraquartz for one, I don't remember the name of the other (maybe cerami-quartz?), but I have no experience with the new types, but they are supposed to be identical - ceramic coated sand.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
there are pictures on this site showing shards of a glass like substance taken from black diamond sand. I would not use it.
I recommend colorquartz, S grade. you might find it local, try calling pool construction companies. it's discontinued, but I have found some in california, only thing that's kept me from ordering is the shipping. $50. a bag.
there are new versions- spectraquartz for one, I don't remember the name of the other (maybe cerami-quartz?), but I have no experience with the new types, but they are supposed to be identical - ceramic coated sand.
I am working on a budget of $40-50 for all of the sediment and need to get the tank running within the next month or two. I can only assume that the $50 a bag you are talking about is less than 50 pounds? I need sand for my geos and if I have to redo it, I will likely go with PFS due to the cost.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bulldovii

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2012
Fairfield, Illinois
I started a similar thread a while back. I got nothing but positives but like you I was still apprehensive. Right now I'm looking into the possibilities of other blasting materials. I've heard that the garnet based material is much better but I still haven't taken the plunge and bought any yet.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store