Fish losing teeth

Omni663

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2012
Michigan
My buttikoferi currently has 2 teeth that look like they are falling out.is t normal for fish to lose teeth? I do have some 50cent piece sized rocks in there I've noticed him picking up and moving. Is this the cause?should I be worried or will he just lose them and grow new ones?any info appreciate.
Thanks,
Omni

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1362008210.623551.jpg

Push

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
N.Ky
Don't know about tilapia but it's pretty common in Payara and African Tiger Fish.

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Some fish species constantly lose and replace teeth all the time, im not sure if that applies to cichlids or not.

Omni663

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2012
Michigan
Hmmm both of the teeth have fallen out now. I just want to be sure this isn't something I need to be concerned with. He is eating and acts like he doesn't even notice the difference. I'm obviously more concerned than him lol.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
A lot of fish have teeth that they lose and regrow. My goldfish had teeth that fell out and easily seen on tank bottom. The fish ranged from 4-12 inches in size so the teeth were very easy for me to spot.lol Thought for a moment they were small gravel chips even though I made sure there was no substrate anymore in the tank (went for barebottom goldfish setup) until I had a closer look at them and took out references in my goldfish site. That was when I finally realized they were teeth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store