Frontosa

letstalkfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2013
Nomad
I would love to have 2-3 Frontosa, and I'm about to start a 90g tank. I was wondering their max size, growth rate, and would the 90G be enough? How about tank mates. I was thinking maybe malawi peacocks or different colors

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
Well it really depends. The fronts usually average out around 10-12 inches but can grow to 14+inches. They are typically slow growers. Mine averaged out from the .5-1 inch range starting to around 3-4 inch range in about a year. I do know people who have kept 2 in a 90gal tank for breeding but if you plan to have 3, add tank mates and possibly get more later (not sure if you plan to or not) then I would go with a 125gal. I have kept peacocks with my fronts before and they got a long pretty well for the most part. It just depends on the space, hiding areas and temperament, they are typically a more mellow fish. (I've had mine beat the crap out of a few of their tank mates before). They do best in colony's and can be shy. Make sure you feed them sinking foods.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Kept and bred frontosa for a few years until I got bored with them. They are much nicer when they are small. Once they get bigger they don't swim much. Provide hiding places (large pvc tubing works well) for holding females. Need rockwork in tank for fry to hide and survive.

Source310

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2010
Phoenix az
I would love to have 2-3 Frontosa, and I'm about to start a 90g tank. I was wondering their max size, growth rate, and would the 90G be enough? How about tank mates. I was thinking maybe malawi peacocks or different colors
Malawi cichlids dont get along with african

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

letstalkfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2013
Nomad
Malawi cichlids dont get along with african

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Good to know. I'm not a big cichlid guy... yet haha.

fishnutham

Needs More Room!
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Brantford,Ont,canada
Fronts are very slow growing you may want to keep them in a mixed grow tank till they're ready for a 90+ tank.
You can mix them, but like most Africans you need to keep keep in mind what you add(vertical bars etc).
Lighting and hides/rocks are your friends if your mix has aggression problems try different layouts and lower or indirect lighting.

letstalkfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2013
Nomad
if I bought frontosa I'd buy 6"+ fish

Sent from my SCH-M828C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

letstalkfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2013
Nomad
Malawi cichlids ARE African.

This isn't true. You just have to mix the correct species and it will work just fine

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I thought they were - I was prettu sure malawi cichlids were african lake cichlids... but as I said I don't know much about cichlids yet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store