Can you come to a conclusion?

Crunx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2013
United States
So my parents are divorced. I spend one week at my dads and the next at my moms. So i have two ten gallons at my dads and I am cycling a 55 gallon. So i left my dads last sunday all fish were fine. I stopped by at my dads after school on Monday and they were all fine. Yesterday my dad told me that the hatchet had died and he removed it(don't really understand how thats possible, but ok). Then today i stopped by to add more feeders to my feeder tank and :WHOA: boom. Nearly everything died except one 2" angel, paradise and a hatchet. The tank had a school of 4 cory cats(emerald, bandit, bronze and panda) a 4" peacock eel, red dwarf gourami, paradise fish, and a silver hatchet(i had ordered 2 marbled and 2 more silvers from my LFS last week and will be here soon, so that he can be in a school again). I walked into the room turn on the light and bam. The temp was 84 degrees, water had white clouds everywhere and all my plants were dead. I had left and the temp was 76 and everything had been feed. I have never seen anything with the white cloud like things like things floating all over(may be a aquirum fungus, but it was ALL over. Like every where I have no idea how those fish survived) My dad said that it must have happened "over night". it smelt like low tide and honestly i just threw everything out but the driftwood which is outside(to dry and soon will be bleached soon). My paradise, angel and hatchet are now in my 8 gallon feeder tank. The tank was cycled and had been fine a fish death here and there but nothing too major. Any ideas on what caused this "situation". I have the worst luck with fish.

bomber

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
the Office living in the now...
Question, how did you come to the conclusion that your tank was "cycled"?

Crunx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2013
United States
Question, how did you come to the conclusion that your tank was "cycled"?
one month with a goldfish until all levels were clear then slowly added 2 fish every other week until my tank was "full" and it had been going good for 4 months after.

rdKirby

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2013
Texas
That sucks man...do you have anything to regulate the temp on the tank? Also, for whenever you aren't there does your dad do water changes for you?

Crunx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2013
United States
That sucks man...do you have anything to regulate the temp on the tank? Also, for whenever you aren't there does your dad do water changes for you?
it was a 50 dollar high end heater that is "self regulating" and normally once it get around the temp set it would stop. I normally do the weekly water changes on yesterday but had baseball so I was gonna do it today until..

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
1 day 76' the next 84', sounds like the heater us stuck on the "on" position.
Also, it sometimes takes 2 months to fully cycle a tank. If not fully cycled and you keep adding fish, the beneficial bacteria can't keep up with the load, and all but the toughest can succumb to ammonia poisoning. And once 1 dies the ammonia builds up exponentially.
Also what do you mean by feeders? Feeder fish, are notorious disease carriers.

Crunx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2013
United States
The feeders had their own 8 gallon quarinte tank and I watch them for diease for the first two weeks b4 I feed them to my gar.. And I believe my tank was cycled but im only 90% sure but the tank had been fine for a couple month and last week I hadnt added any new fish for 2 weeks

Sent from my VM670 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Now you have 4 tanks? Two 10s, a 55, and an 8. The eight has feeders. Where is the gar? And what size tank were the fish who died in? Who else was in the tank where the fish died?

Crunx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2013
United States
The 8 gallon feeders doesnt have a filter but has a heater and is only setup when needed. my gar is now in school(aquaculture school) so hes fine and 4 cory cats, paradise gouarmi, a silver hatchet fish, 4" peacock eel and a red dwarf gourami.

Sent from my VM670 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store