Thinking of selling all my fish and having a solo species tank

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
I'm getting very frustrated with everything that keeps on going wrong with my tank (some my fault, some can't be helped) and I am thinking of just making a solo species set up or an arowana and something else. Tank size won't be a problem so I was thinking maybe a RTC or a crystal eye cat (wykii) as a solo set up (unless it would work with an aro or any other tank mates for life) or something like a Tigrinus and an aro setup/something similar?

My current set ups are

95g
Juvi TSN
Juvi jardini
Juvi giraffe cat
Juvi dat
Juvi clown knife
Endli bichir

Approx 300g pond
Leiarius pictus
RTC
Shovelnose hybrid
Spotted gar

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

hardwood07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
New Jersey
what size tank could the space u have available fit? if u do a solo rtc tank or just a tank with an rtc in it in general you will need alot of water. rtc grow to a couple hundred pounds.

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
what size tank could the space u have available fit? if u do a solo rtc tank or just a tank with an rtc in it in general you will need alot of water. rtc grow to a couple hundred pounds.
Yea I know, If I do go for the RTC I will build as close to 1000g as possible or maybe even a little bigger, don't worry I know plenty about the RTC :)

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
Cool idea, idk anything about them really apart from most are brackish water when they get big, what are they like as pets?

Well that's a given since those two are 100% freshwater. I think a rtc would be a boring single fish. I'd do a tig ssince they are a reasonable size and a jardini that hopefully wouldn't be aggressive towards the cat. Or a fahaka but just can't dedicate a large tank to one fish :p

My fish life is sparked up with Polys :)

Vanimal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2012
Florida
Cool idea, idk anything about them really apart from most are brackish water when they get big, what are they like as pets?

Fahakas and Mbus are full freshwater. From what I've been told they have better personalities than any other fish. It's a blast watching them eat but they do need a special diet. They are extremely aggressive and most don't tolerate any other fish in the tank. Although I have seen a few being kept in communities so I think it would be possible to keep it with a catfish. They are great looking and a neat fish. I saw a Mbu blow up and it was really cool. They do get pretty big and have a high bioload.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
If you don't want to upgrade tanks, get the black devil wykii. It should top out at about 20-24" and would be good living SOLO in a standard footprint 300 gallon. The RTC would get waaaay to big for a 300.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store