GLOW FISH-Ban or no ban?

derbal wardrin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2013
Canada
As a buyer for an aquatic store in Canada this subject is a gigantic outbreak of ICK to me.These fish ( the lumenescent gene found in jellyfish was successfuly introduced) are much loved by kids but probably scorned on by many. Banned in Canada,Europe,& many other countries,they are legal in the USA.
Most of the mass produced crops (wheat,potatoes,soybean,tomato etc) have undergone genetic manipulation,& I have the option to buy them or not,but with glow fish which are not meant for human consumption I don`t have a choice.
I can order jellybean parrots,even have them with the logo of my football or hockey team tattooed in them,but not glow fish.
A bitter irony is also that the only state to ban them in the USA is governed by a guy who used every substance known to man to enhance his appearance,namely California.
In a billion $ industry there should be a unilateral agreement such as they do with CITES for endangered spieces.
I say no ban!!

jrthor_85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2012
Fresno, CA, USA
*was governed*. Now we have a "real" politician governing us who was already governor like 20 years ago. Wonder who would win in a narcissism contest...

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I have significantly less of an issue with these fish that have been modified genetically and unknowingly vs the dyed and or modified (cut caudal fins etc...) fish subject to pain. Let's face it a lot of young kids start out in the hobby with fish like these and move on to bigger and better things as they learn and eventually end up here with us doing things the right way. No ban for me.

The dyed/modified fish make me want to hurt someone.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
I say ban just because you're modifying a fish, making it more expensive and less healthy in the long run.

Let the kids buy the fish that will last them a while if they take care of the tank. Then graduate to where we are today. Absurd that these fish are properly banned in other countries but not here.

All modifications should be made illegal to all animals. Cropping ears, bobbing tails, all of it.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
But lot of our domesticated animals have been genetically modified to the point where they are no longer looks like same animals that we captured them for domestication many years ago, why a glowing in dark fish should be different?

As for blindkiller85, you should not buy ANY food products from the stores if you don't like the animal modifications....

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Genetically modified fish don't suffer like dyed mutilated fish do. The laws banning them is asinine, they pose no threat to the environment or any native species.
Well it's physically impossible for a glowfish to hide from the predators when you are neon colored.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Genetically modified fish don't suffer like dyed mutilated fish do. The laws banning them is asinine, they pose no threat to the environment or any native species.
They pose a major threat to the people keeping gentically modified things out of their countries period. It's one thing to keep it as a "pet" I agree... but the whole reason is nutrition based imo. Americans will eat crap that causes us cancer and is straight up poison, other countries are more picky about what they let themselves get poisoned with. Should say something about a country that advises pregnant women to eat organic... but says it's fine for everyone else to eat "normal" food.

MN and there is a HUGE difference between genetically modified and selectively bred.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
They pose a major threat to the people keeping gentically modified things out of their countries period. It's one thing to keep it as a "pet" I agree... but the whole reason is nutrition based imo. Americans will eat crap that causes us cancer and is straight up poison, other countries are more picky about what they let themselves get poisoned with. Should say something about a country that advises pregnant women to eat organic... but says it's fine for everyone else to eat "normal" food.

MN and there is a HUGE difference between genetically modified and selectively bred.
Not so much difference in them. Take a hard long look at your domesticated animals of today. You have NO idea what you are eating when you brought foods from the supermarkets, nor you have NO idea what is inside of your foods.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store