The skull of the false Parrot cichlid

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
Have a long, hard stare at the above. To me, that doesn’t look like a great specimen of a skull. I’d go so far as to say it looked more like a fishy equivalent of the Elephant man.

This is the head of a deceased Parrot cichlid, a hybrid that’s sold in its thousands here in the UK. It’s the result of cross breeding two species that have no inclination to reproduce with each other in the wild. This is what we end up with.

Parrots are the perfect example of how experimenting with novelty fish can become runaway, and quickly to the detriment of the creature involved.
Source, along with picture ~ http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co...._we_done?_The_Parrot_cichlid&utm_content=html

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
chris had almost convinced me that they have cute personalities..
*shudder*

Chrisplosion

Mean Cat
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
Oregon, it's part of 'Murica!
chris had almost convinced me that they have cute personalities..
*shudder*
Superficial granny confusing looks with personality. Just looking at the skull it was of a deform Blood Parrot and not a normal. Its face was crooked.

Sent from my Motorola Hamster Ball

Thelatinofishlover

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2012
Mexico City
wtf! haha thats sad! but awesome lol

yogurt_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
AZ, USA
interesting, I never really liked the look personally but this isn't going to sway me, its too much opinion and not enough (or any) fact. For starters if you bring up hybrid as an issue it would be nice to actually list the species its a hybrid of and trace their origins to see why exactly making such a hybrid is a bad idea. He does nothing of the sort. Instead he blabbers on about nothing really for several paragraphs.

No facts = not buying.

edit: a better article
http://cichlidresearch.com/parrot.html

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
Superficial granny confusing looks with personality. Just looking at the skull it was of a deform Blood Parrot and not a normal. Its face was crooked.

Sent from my Motorola Hamster Ball
Isn't a deformed Blood Parrot redundant? :D

Vanimal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2012
Florida
interesting, I never really liked the look personally but this isn't going to sway me, its too much opinion and not enough (or any) fact. For starters if you bring up hybrid as an issue it would be nice to actually list the species its a hybrid of and trace their origins to see why exactly making such a hybrid is a bad idea. He does nothing of the sort. Instead he blabbers on about nothing really for several paragraphs.

No facts = not buying.

edit: a better article
http://cichlidresearch.com/parrot.html
My Blood Parrots seem happy and healthy. I think he is making it out worse to be than it really is.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store