Possible broken back Gar, internal bleeding? Help!!

Staind260

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2013
Pittsburgh
Hello everyone, I created a post yesterday and seem to have to response to, so I'm desperately attempting again to get some insight and help as to what is wrong with my Gar.
Please help me out as to what I can do, I do not want to lose this fish, he is like a part of the family and I am very compassionate about him, I'm sure you all understand.

A few nights ago, late at night he jumped out of his tank (Tank rim to floor, 48 inches) The fish himself, is 12 inches exactly long.
Approximately an hour-2, my dog awoke my girlfriend to go outside to relieve himself. She found him lying about 6-8 feet away from the tank in the hallway.
I woke up, and he seemed to be dead, but I slowly picked him up holding him with both hands firmly and placed him back inside the tank.
He seemed to come to life very quickly and swim towards the bottom of the tank and stayed there for about 20 minutes or so, and I went back to sleep hoping for the best.
I woke up, About 3 hours after being back in the tank, he was floating towards the top of the tank, but seemed okay other than his scales looking a bit dried out.
He has been stayign at the top of the tank constantly now, will not chase any food or even take anything dangling in front of him. He is breathing some air though which is a plus.

I notice when he wants to try to swim from the top, most of his body turns downwards in attempts to get to the bottom, while his 3-4 inches of his back wants to stay upright towards where the water level is.
If you notice towards to back half of him, you can see what looks to be a little bit of blood between his scales, which leads me to believe he may have some kind of bleeding or something is pierced from the fall.
His back pretty much is out of the water all the time now, except towards his head and snout, and tail.

I could really use some help everyone, criticism or not, I need to do everything in my power to save this guy. Input and comments, questions, concerns will absolutely be appreciated.

I have also attached a few pictures to help you understand what I'm seeing. Thanks guys :(

20130228_204224_LLS.jpg

20130228_204134.jpg

20130228_204230_LLS.jpg

20130228_204239_LLS.jpg

CaymanMoon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm sorry, I wish I could offer some advice. I hope your fish pulls through. If you can get him to eat, I would think he might make it.

Sent from my HTC One X using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

pjsammut

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2011
Malbourne Australia
Mate, really sorry that happened. I dont have gars but have had other fish jump and recover from similar situations. I dont think there is really much you can do other than ensure the fish is not stressed and is as comfortable as possible while recovering. The only solace I can give is fish are incredibly hardy and amazing at recovering frim injuries so don't lose hope. Given time he may recover so be patient and dont stress.
Hopefully someone with more experience eith gars can comment soon, I wish you good luck.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Staind260

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2013
Pittsburgh
Thank you, I'm going to try to dangle a little goldfish in front of him again to see if he'll take it..

Here is an updated picture of towards the fishs' anus, it seems the blood is a bit worse and might be pooling inside of him?? Is there a way I can relieve him of this without killing him or anything!?

20130301_200805.jpg

pjsammut

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2011
Malbourne Australia
That could be simple bruising. I would wait and see how it goes. Dont stress him too much and dont be concerned if he doesnt eat for a few days.

Staind260

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2013
Pittsburgh
That could be simple bruising. I would wait and see how it goes. Dont stress him too much and dont be concerned if he doesnt eat for a few days.

Thank you. I'm trying not too, but it's worrisome to say the least.

I just don't want him to suffer, I'm hoping he starts to improve soon, only time will tell :/ The blood seems to suggest otherwise, I hope nothing was punctured or ruptured as per the jump.
Crazy fish, thinking either Pleco or the only other tank mate may have spooked him, but the Jack Dempsey stays in a log all the time and never comes out, leading me to believe it wasn't due to him.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
I have picked up my big Florida a few times. It bailed out of my 180gal. After a few days it should come back. As long as your dog didn't try to bite it, causing the blood. My big gar has been crispy and I was sure it was dead, but it came back. It just got some scale deformation on the tail. It should start to shed its slime coat and then it should come back. It won't eat for a week or so. At least that's what mine did. Now mine well, I think it might be to fat to jump..lol

Side note. Pleco, ditch it, cichlids ditch them. Any other "crazy tankmate" ditch them. You'll just end up with the gar on the floor again or back broke. I have noticed that my gars have all chilled out since they are only with gars and bowfin.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
x2 now is a good time to get another tank for your JD and pleco or re-home them... even if they didn't harass him before they will have opportunity now.. and as sbuse said.. they are bad tank-mates for gar... ime and imo gar do best with more gar.

Staind260

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2013
Pittsburgh
I have picked up my big Florida a few times. It bailed out of my 180gal. After a few days it should come back. As long as your dog didn't try to bite it, causing the blood. My big gar has been crispy and I was sure it was dead, but it came back. It just got some scale deformation on the tail. It should start to shed its slime coat and then it should come back. It won't eat for a week or so. At least that's what mine did. Now mine well, I think it might be to fat to jump..lol

Side note. Pleco, ditch it, cichlids ditch them. Any other "crazy tankmate" ditch them. You'll just end up with the gar on the floor again or back broke. I have noticed that my gars have all chilled out since they are only with gars and bowfin.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
the dog is only a little miniature dachshund and its scared of his own shadow, I think the only thing he'd do is try to lick it, lol. I highly doubt that he would have bitten at it.
I have a 29 tall I started to set up tonight and cycle with some of the other water from the Gar tank, to throw the JD in, and then rehome him. Hes really quiet, but I understand he can spook him now..my buddy asked me to hold onto him for a little bit, but seems I've adopted him. Any idea at all as to what the blood may be from? That part has me really clueless from the 6-8 plus hours of searching online and calling around to numerous fish/aquarium stores. Everyone seems to think something may have either punctured something, or is just very bad bruising, ect.

Staind260

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2013
Pittsburgh
x2 now is a good time to get another tank for your JD and pleco or re-home them... even if they didn't harass him before they will have opportunity now.. and as sbuse said.. they are bad tank-mates for gar... ime and imo gar do best with more gar.
Okay definitely taking that to heart and will absolutely do that once this tank has cycled some and parameters look well enough for the JD and pleco's. Once I get this bigger tank set up, I'll leave the gar by himself if he makes it..very worried.

I appreciate the comments and concerns..it helps me deal a little bit with it..Hope to hear some more opinions and appreciate every bit of info, comments, ect. Thank you both very much..

Could this bleeding, be it internal, be very harmful? Hard to wonder if it may clot up, or just keep getting worse until he bleeds to death.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store