Would feeding a five a whole frozen cube have any negative effects in the long run?

The title says it all, would feeding a varied selection of prepared frozen cubes to an animal like say a piranha, have any detrimental effects, I.e., if they swallow a frozen item whole? I'm asking because they are swallowing a frozen item while it is still technically frozen in the middle, if not totally.

chefjamesscott

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2008
regina saskatchewan canada
Personally I am not a fan of feeding my fish items that are still frozen.

I look at it this way. If I swallow an ice cube it might not kill me but it sure is not gonna be comfortable.

jrthor_85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2012
Fresno, CA, USA
I've had an african hap swallow a whole 'emerald entree' cube while it was still completely frozen. I try not to let him do it anymore, but it hasn't had any detrimental effects

chefjamesscott

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2008
regina saskatchewan canada
HUGE difference between ice cream and ice cube mate.

And no i do not do snow cones.

Go ahead be my guest and feed your fish frozen cubes or semi frozen cubes. Yet, I would lay good odds that the thermodynamics your fish will experience will not be the most beneficial in comparison to feeding them something room temp.

I have always made sure that frozen foods were thawed in tank water and only fed when completely thawed.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Is thawing the cubes out to much work?
No. Use your fish net to put frozen cubes in and thaw from there. I used running tap water but it has no harmful substances such as chlorine to begin with anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
No. Use your fish net to put frozen cubes in and thaw from there. I used running tap water but it has no harmful substances such as chlorine to begin with anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
That is exactly what I do but I scoop the water out with a small container...I have had the net yanked into the tank by hungry Vulcher fishes!!! They just wait for you to turn your back!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store