Need Advice.

QuDodger

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2013
My house.
So I have a 55 gallon freshwater set up right now that has been running for about six months. All the chemistry is finally perfect now and the fish seem to be perfectly happy. I have 2 leopard ctenopoma an african brown knife a sengal bichir 2 german blue rams 2 rubber lip plecos a banjo catfish and an african butterfly fish. MY question is will the space I have be enough room for about another six months and when I upgrade will a 75 gallon be enough or will i have to get a 90 gallon.

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Should be ok for a while. The Bichir and the knife might be an issue later. If the Banjo is the Aspredo aspredo, you would be very lucky btw, it could get about 15" but not likely and a 55g would be ok for a while even then. I wouldn't call your tank over stocked so carry on with the plans.
Good luck to you.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
I would have to disagree and say you're slightly over stocked, but nothing terrible. Just because of the pleco's waste productions. They poo more than any other fish I've ever seen (same size fish obviously).

75 - 90 gallon is preference at that point, wouldn't make much of a difference other than dilution of waste. Your fish are mostly medium to low range fish in the tank as far as swimming height. So the extra couple of inches on a 90 wouldn't make a big difference, but bigger is better and money is still money lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store