Smallest Trimac pair??

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
I am just curious to see who has or knows of someone who has the smallest pair of trimacs. Please include sizes and pics:)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

CrazyLegz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bay Area,CA
Most likely 4 or 5 inchs...just wanted to say something to follow this post...im thinking trimacs might be my next fish I will try to breed...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
I'm only asking this because I have a pair forming out of the group I bought recently and they are barely 3" lol they haven't spawned, nor have they developed tear drops yet lol but the are in breeding dress and holding down a nice cave:) I'm not looking to keep a pair, I just want a nice solo male. But these guys are cute.

So yeah, I know most cichlids can pair and spawn at 3.5-4" but I didn't think smaller than that....

CrazyLegz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bay Area,CA
I read a few places state that flowerhorns can breed at 3 inchs and flowerhorns are part trimac...maybe your getting lucky, please keep this thread updated unless you want to sale your pair, id purchase them and buy you a solo male.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TheOscarGuy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2006
Westborough, MA
That is pretty small! I kept them a few years ago, and even though had a pair form I never got them to spawn. The male was a complete loco and was too rough with the female all the time. They were probably 6-7" when they decided they are a pair, so urs is definitely quite young. Don't know if they'll spawn for you that young, but since they have their breeding dress on it might happen!

I would be worried a bit if they bred that small. It's a good thing that you have a pair and they will probably bond better if they are so young when paired. However I worry the female has a lot of growing up to do and may use more o her energy producing eggs for the next spawn, than growing up.

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
I do agree and think they are too small to spawn but since they are in breeding dress I will keep an eye on them. I would like my group to put on another .5" or so before I start selling them cause I'm looking for tear drops to come in to help me choose the ones I like. But there is a good chance that ill sell the pair.

Ill prolly move them into a different tank so the rest of the group can continue growing out. Ill get some pics in the morning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store