Warming water for large water change

zapantha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2012
American Canyon
I have a 330 gallon fish tank with tropical fish, does anyone have a good idea for warming large amounts of water for the water changes. I usually fill up with a hose but realize how much it would lower the temp and how long it would take to warm up. Any suggestions?

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
What is you normal temp and how much water do you change every water change?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
I use a hose that hooks up to my sink so I can drain and fill with the same hose, just flip a valve to change water direction. Any ways I just adjust my tap till the temp is right.

How big is the tank you are doing a water change on and how much water are you changing?

zapantha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2012
American Canyon
Plan on doing a 150 gallon water change every 2 weeks. It's a 330 gallon freshwater tank. I usually like to keep it around 76 degrees farenheit.

Nate Dogg

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2011
Louisville
sounds like you do but use a python water changer, and what I think I would do is turn the water heater up, fill a water holding tank (like a water toff) with water a bit warmer then what you want and then start adding water to the tank (from the foset) when the water cools switch to the holding tank water (which should have cooled)

zapantha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2012
American Canyon
Hmmmmm point of use looks cool but also seems very expensive lol, maybe I should just use a water changer connected to my sink. I just would not want to use all the hot water lol. Maybe collect the water when I take the hot shower and do gradual water changes. I guess I have to invest to do this easily lol

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
My cold tap water comes out at about 45'F this time of year, I just turn on enough of the hot to blend until equal with the tanks temp, but change water more frequently. I find more smaller water changes every 2 or 3 days helps so as not to end up with a freezing finish, on 3X 300 gallon banks of tanks.
At this time of year, the tap water is super saturated with oxygen in cold climates, and unless some of that is dissipated there is risk of gas bubble embolism, so my new water always enters a sump first, not directly into the tank.

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
Im unable to use tap water here for large water changes at this time of year w/o heating the water first it would drop the water temp in the tank too much.. during the winter its smaller changes but more frequently during the week. Unless your breeding, or if your tank is grossly overstocked, over fed , mismanaged. Water changes are necessary but not at the level I've seen posted on most forums... if your community display tank needs a 50% water change a week to keep your fish healthy you may want to re examine your tank maintenance, feeding routine or stock levels ..however whatever has been working for you stick with it, I prefer to strive for efficiency of my time and costs ? Also note I'm maintaining a basement of tanks not a single, so a 50% water change would be close to 700 gals a week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store