Ultima II 1000 or 2000 for my 1000 Gallon Setup

Albertan

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Alberta, CANADA
As listed in my main thread for this tank, I have a 230 gallon sump and an Ultima 1000 currently spec'd for filtration. As the cost difference between the 1000 and 2000 is only about $130 (plus the bigger pump for the 2000), I'm looking for some knowledgeable opinions on whether the Ultima II 2000 might be a better option to suit my primary goal of keeping maintenance down. There is also a $140 option on either model to have a 2" valve instead of the standard 1-1/2" valve. I'm presuming the 2" valve is the way to go. The builder's sketch is included below. Thanks for everyone's help. :thumbsup:

tank sketch.jpg

tank sketch.jpg

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
The conical tube type media is weird but it works, better than beads. Beads tend to clump and have far less surface area. I would go with the larger model as a once per hour turnover is ok for a pond but an aquarium is different. Now, if you are going to have a separate pump for just recirculation, you might be ok with the smaller one, but get as big a valve as practical. The bigger the less restriction.
I always plan for the worst and hope for the best, so a filter with more capacity will "grow"(in terms of BB)with your fish.
Curious, are you buying the filter as a package or are you piecing it together? Reason I ask is, the pump that comes with it as a package purchase is often rated for an outside placement and they tend to be on the loud side.
Anyway, enjoying this thread so far.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
You might check out this thread.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...YOUR-FISH!!!!!!&highlight=ultimate+filtration

Some people are really into WLim glass bead filters.

When it comes to Ultimas, some people feel that they don't provide adequate mechanical filtration. But I guess you have it covered since you're into filter socks. When it comes to filtration, most fishkeepers feel that "bigger is better". There is one MFK member who runs two Ultimas, because he believes in redundant filtration. He purges one Ultima at a time. I too, like the idea of bigger/better/redundant. We'll be going with two Ultima 4000s primarily for biological filtration and six Pentair Rainbow RTL-100s for mechanical filtration on our big tank set up. Our large sump will be more of a holding tank, although one Ultima will be plumbed to the sump and returning the water to the main tank.

When it comes to filtration, you can't have too much. :)

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Are those two external overflow boxes in the drawing?

Each of our external overflow boxes have two 1 1/2" drains and are plumbed for four 1/2" returns. (So no 2" ports for us)

Albertan

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Alberta, CANADA
Curious, are you buying the filter as a package or are you piecing it together? Reason I ask is, the pump that comes with it as a package purchase is often rated for an outside placement and they tend to be on the loud side.
My understanding is that the Ultimas come with the media already inside. But aside from that, I would buy just the unit itself and run an separately sourced pump. Noise isn't a big deal in the garage, but I do have some other plans for the rest of the garage after the tank is in. Quieter is always better.

Albertan

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Alberta, CANADA
I would go with the larger model as a once per hour turnover is ok for a pond but an aquarium is different. Now, if you are going to have a separate pump for just recirculation, you might be ok with the smaller one, but get as big a valve as practical.
I'm not sure it relates exactly to what you are calling recirculation, and it's probably going to be a topic for discussion in another thread, but here's a little something else I have planned with the tank...

I asked the builder about building a closed loop system drilled near the bottom of the tank on each side to help keep the bottom clean. My plan at the moment is to use ceramic tiles on the bottom. The shop is more of a saltwater specialty shop. He told me, at least in the reef community, people are getting away from the closed loop systems due to potential failure/leaking issues. What he recommended was a bank of four of these on one side along the bottom on a timer to stir up the bottom and keep things clean. It's not a cheap proposition (I don't recall the exact model but they were in the range of $2,000 Cdn MSRP for the four), but if it works I'm happy with it.

Albertan

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Alberta, CANADA
You might check out this thread.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...YOUR-FISH!!!!!!&highlight=ultimate+filtration

Some people are really into WLim glass bead filters.

When it comes to Ultimas, some people feel that they don't provide adequate mechanical filtration. But I guess you have it covered since you're into filter socks. When it comes to filtration, most fishkeepers feel that "bigger is better". There is one MFK member who runs two Ultimas, because he believes in redundant filtration. He purges one Ultima at a time. I too, like the idea of bigger/better/redundant. We'll be going with two Ultima 4000s primarily for biological filtration and six Pentair Rainbow RTL-100s for mechanical filtration on our big tank set up. Our large sump will be more of a holding tank, although one Ultima will be plumbed to the sump and returning the water to the main tank.

When it comes to filtration, you can't have too much. :)
Thanks for the link. I'm working my way thorugh it now. I've read in the first few pages that some people are actually using Ultima II 4000's on home aquaria. Along the lines of "When it comes to filtration, you can't have too much. :)", perhaps I should be considering this unit as well? Back to my reading on one of my too few days off...

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
No doubt those Vortech pumps are beyond awesome, but WAY expensive for what you are doing...keeping the bottom clear. Those Vortech pumps are more for Reef tanks and are variable speed for re-creating tidal surge and switchable water current...hightech stuff. But if you can afford it, go for it! (sooo jealous) I would agree with the builder to some degree about the closed loop, however, some sort of circulation needs to be done on a larger scale that just once per hour. I am assuming you will be putting the heater/s in the sump? Heaters, as I'm sure you know need a lot of water movement to be effective. If you ran a circulation pump in the sump....Wait a minute, I just looked at the drawing again...is the Ultima being supplied via the overflow? If that's the plan, it won't work that way. The filter will need its supply from the water in the sump, then discharge from the filter into the tank. Maybe I am missing something?
Anyway, I think your setup will be very good. I am a big fan of over filtered, highly circulated water, mostly for the gas exchange process, so I will always advocate much water movement.

Albertan

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Alberta, CANADA
Yeah, I am aware of the fact that the Ultima will need to be supplied from the sump after the initial mechanical filtration (socks et. al.). I'm pretty sure the builder is too. The heater(s) will most likely be inline. Moving equipment from the tank to the sump is good. Moving stuff out of the sump is even better. lol.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Yeah, I am aware of the fact that the Ultima will need to be supplied from the sump after the initial mechanical filtration (socks et. al.). I'm pretty sure the builder is too. The heater(s) will most likely be inline. Moving equipment from the tank to the sump is good. Moving stuff out of the sump is even better. lol.
The builder's sketch does not show the Ultima drawing from the stump. The sump has its own little pump in the sketch. The optimal flow rates for Ultimas match the model number, i.e., Ultima 1000 = 1000 gph, Ultima 2000 = 2000 gph, Ultima 4000 = 4000 gph. If you are going to get an Ultima, perhaps you should choose the one with the flow rate you want. Truthfully, I bought my Ultimas a couple of years ago little dreaming that my tank would not be set up yet. If I were purchasing filters today, I would probably go with one Ultima and a Wave...the reviews are that good on the Wave.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store