Wood discoloring water

jerseybrian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2012
New Jersey
How long does real wood discolor aquarium water for. I have a piece I tried soaking before adding. Its been in for almost a month. Its about 3'x2'x2' in an 8' 240G. I feel like I'm making tea

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
months for sure ..I have a big piece in a 75 that is still leaching tannis ...put the piece in about 2 1/2 yrs. ago.. it used to bug me... I GOT USED TO IT..:popcorn:

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
Im doing 50% water change a week just to be able to see the back of the tank.
REMOVE THE WOOD AND LEACH it in a tub ... that WOULD drive me crazy... gotta see the fishes:popcorn:

Anchovie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
Jersey Shore
I use the guest room bath tub for driftwood. Nobody has ever used it for a bath so it finally has a purpose. I use the same tub for soaking sand too. I just put whatever I want to soak in and oversized cotton pillowcase and drain the tub every couple of days. Some newer wood will leach for years. You may be able to clearcoat it

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
How long does real wood discolor aquarium water for. I have a piece I tried soaking before adding. Its been in for almost a month. Its about 3'x2'x2' in an 8' 240G. I feel like I'm making tea
Actually you are making tea. Tannin tea. I have a piece of driftwood that stained the water for over a year.
The tannins dont hurt anything, even helping in some setups with certain fish that require acidic water. UV sterilizers and carbon can help but really no need.

Skittle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2012
PA
Carbon and wc is how to get rid of it when already in the tank, taking it out and soaking it in the hottest water you canu get helps

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store