Who Else Is ADDICTED to Changing Their Tanks Very Often?

MonsterCichlids75

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2012
Boston, MA
Hey everyone,
just a fun little topic in regards to changing up your tank very frequently...I dont know if its just me and i have some kind of problem lol or if you guys do it too...I change my tanks from african cichlid to american cichlids to catfish tanks to native fish tanks to all sorts of things. Its like as soon as i get a real nice stock or after i've bred a certain species a couple times, i think of another cool stocking and i end up changing over my whole tank. Thats how i've learned sooo much about so many different species of fish (because I've kept almost every cichlid out there! and everytime im on the computer it seems like im researching about another species) But its like I cant stop...every time i get a sweet stock i think of something "better" and i change things up again. Do you guys do this too or am i just crazy lol. When i see peoples tank that have been unchanged for years i wonder how the hell they can do that without changing things up, and sometimes i wish i could do that same (i've sold and given away a lot of fish that sometimes i really with i still had!) But its like there are just endless stocking combinations and fish to breed and i just can't stop changing my tanks! Maybe i'd be fine if i had like 20 good size tanks but thats just not reasonable..but hopefully someday! :) Just curious what you guys have to say about this topic

oscar fish

Banned
Feb 23, 2013
in no were
Lol i do but ended up getting stuck with my tropical and oscar lol.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I personally prefer keeping the same fish from juvi to death... I like the feeling of accomplishment you get from knowing you gave a fish the best life it could have...

I guess as for constant change, thats i got into planted tanks, gives me something to play with and watch evolve slowly over time :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MonsterCichlids75

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2012
Boston, MA
I personally prefer keeping the same fish from juvi to death... I like the feeling of accomplishment you get from knowing you gave a fish the best life it could have...

I guess as for constant change, thats i got into planted tanks, gives me something to play with and watch evolve slowly over time :)

Back when I first started keeping fish I used to do that, keep my fish for a longgg time but as I became more of a fish fanatic and got into cichlids, I've just wanted to keep every fish out there lol recently I got a job in the fish department of my local fish and reptile store and let me tell you that's only made things worse ;) lol every week when the new fish orders come in I think of a whole new set up for my tanks it's frustrating sometimes haha I even got a nice 2 year old big male midas that I kept in my big tank all by himself, I was glad about how nasty and aggressive he was because it forced me not to put any other fish in the tank but after about 6 months I sold him to a good friend. I still get to see the fish often (his name is Deebo) but I just had to change up my tank again. From anyone who's seen my YouTube channel (my username is "Bingx14" ) you can see over the years just how friggen often my tank changes lol sometimes I just wanna kick myself I've got like rediculous OCD with my tanks

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I used to do it a lot until I got my 225,
here are the 2 things that I found really help stopping this problem

1. get a PEACEFUL community, have fish that won't beat the **** out of eachother, so youre not constantly stressing over the health of your fish... which unfortunately means NO CICHLIDS. cichlids are what made me change my tank 24/7. as soon as I moved away from cichlids I have not had the problem. Theres something about having a 225 gallon tank and only keeping 3 large fish that beat the **** out of eachother int here that I don't find all that fun or interesting...

Currently I have the non aggressive predator community, Gars, large catfish, bichirs, giant gourami, tinfoil barbs. lots of cool random fish that don't even acknowledge eachothers existance.

2. get a large tank. With more room to play with you have a better chance of finding a particular set up and style that works well for you, if you have a huge tank there are no "Hmm if only my tank was bigger" thoughts, its just "I like this and this so I will do it".

just my experience anyway.

There is a reason why most people who say they are leaving the hobby keep cichlids (I did for 10 years and couldn't be happier parting from them)

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Back when I first started keeping fish I used to do that, keep my fish for a longgg time but as I became more of a fish fanatic and got into cichlids, I've just wanted to keep every fish out there lol recently I got a job in the fish department of my local fish and reptile store and let me tell you that's only made things worse ;) lol every week when the new fish orders come in I think of a whole new set up for my tanks it's frustrating sometimes haha I even got a nice 2 year old big male midas that I kept in my big tank all by himself, I was glad about how nasty and aggressive he was because it forced me not to put any other fish in the tank but after about 6 months I sold him to a good friend. I still get to see the fish often (his name is Deebo) but I just had to change up my tank again. From anyone who's seen my YouTube channel (my username is "Bingx14" ) you can see over the years just how friggen often my tank changes lol sometimes I just wanna kick myself I've got like rediculous OCD with my tanks

I mean if i'm being honest, then obviously there have been times when i wanted to sell my old polleni to free up the 60G for something else, but after he finally passed away 17 years later, i was glad i never sold / traded him since it was a great feeling watching an old friend grow if you will...

Now my Fahaka is just over 3 years old, so hopefully she'll also live for a good 15+ more years still...

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
When I first got into the hobby I wanted to own everything.... now that I've kept at least one type of each "genera" of fish I'm content with my tanks.. and I agree on getting a big tank.. I'm at a point i'm very happy with the fish I have and have had ( most are going on 3yrs some only 6monthes-1yr) but we are running out of water volume... I am a constant aquascaper though always trying to improve the natural look of my tanks and show my fish off to their best advantages by doing so. It also helps i think for us as we have a "predetory tank" with gar,spiney eels, and rays. a solitary predtor tank, our aba aba knife. A community tank, it's a mish mash of random tetras and barbs, and other gentle odds and ends. and a catfish grow-out tank. we're up to some 500gallons total in tanks.. but realistically need 1k more in the next few years to house everyone. Nothing brings me greater joy then to see a big healthy fish in my tanks now... I would love to see my cuban gar 20yrs from now cruising in our basement knowing we raised him, and he's older then our kids... lol

Aqualoon

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Minnesota
I found the answer to this.

1 tank for New Worlds of my choice.
1 tank for Africans of my choice.

New World I'm doing a community setup of Geo. Red Heads, Severums and Congo Tetras.
Old World I'm doing a colony of Tropheus.

yogurt_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
AZ, USA
this thread sounds like Pharaoh. Always tinkering, always seems to end up with more and more tanks. I got that way for a bit scaled out from a single 55 to 2 10's, a 45 hex, the 55, a 100g, a 125g, a 135g, a 450 plybuild, and a 9000g koi pond.
Then I went from a dad of 1 to a dad of 3... now the only 2 running are my 125g showtank and my daughters 10g for her mollies. (she's almost 4, she does feed them when she remembers but other than that I take care of them, mollies are easy).

But I do get the itch still, just don't have the room/funds to scratch it. When the kids are older I'll prolly get my pond back at least.

amonra

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2010
Phoenix
I am always itching to improve what I have. Sometimes that means new equipment (lights, filters, DIY stuff) and sometimes that means different gravel or plants. Sometimes that means different fish.
I have found that I am a dreamer and if I don't have some grand plan on what my tanks are going to be one day, I am not as interested in the hobby.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store