how big is too big of a tank on a main floor ?

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
so right now i have 2 tanks on the main floor of the house one 140g and one 75g all within 10ft of one another in the corner of the house... and im thinking about upgrading to a 220g in place of the 140g i have ... so i would purchase the 220g and break down and move the 140g outta the corner and stuff the 220g in there and sell my 140g to recoup some cash ...anyway here are some pics to give ya better idea of how the tanks are setup, please excuse the mess from my kid lol he still tiny .. and yes my basement is finished but we NEVER spend anytime down there ever lol.... all though i looked in the furnace room (unifnished) and can see the floor joist in it... now if they are all the same through the entire house then they floor joist would run the depth of my tank 19" and 24" depth of the new 220g, house was built maybe 8-10yrs ago ....would i be safe to have a 220g in place of my 140g ?

IMG-20130303-00615.jpg

IMG-20130303-00616.jpg

rdKirby

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2013
Texas
Nice setups man. Though I probably wouldn't risk it, might need to move the 220 down stairs

Sent from my LG-LS696 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
If the tank is perpendicular to the joists which it sounds like it will be, and the house was constructed properly you should have no problem with the 220

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
all depends man. theres lots of little factors.

How big is your bath? Normally..(I am in aus) they will use the same support/build threw out the whole house. most bathrooms are not reinforced so if you have a largeish bathtub you should be fine but its a risky way to go off. they could of used more joists in your bathroom then rest of house.

any way you can get under the house? if you can would be great + worst comes to worst you could always support the floor under the tank if you have access under the floor.

rdKirby

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2013
Texas
It literally ways a ton...cement would be the best support.

Sent from my LG-LS696 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
Nope can't get under the house as there a cement foundation, and the basement is 100% finished minus the furnace room not a big room and nothing is in there.. Bath tub is prolly reg sized but is a stand up shower all in one with 3 glass sliding doors...

And I'm sure the house was made to code as it gets inspected and certain points during the build... And there is no way to "re-enforce" the floor from underneath as the basement is finished but we never spend any time in the basement for anything, and if the joist run all the same way in the floorwhich I can find out as my gf dad is the guy that did most of the building on this house amoung others and such, but ya if they go all the same as what' I can see in the furnace room there should be 4 or so joist under the 72" span of the tank since there 16" apart and it right near the outside wall, which would be stronger then sitting in middle of romm kinda thing... ? But what ya guys think ? Yea or nah ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store