55 gallon stocking ideas!!

dre205

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2010
Georgia
Hello all, It's been a while since I posted on here. I've bout done almost everything I could do in a freshwater aquarium. I've decided to do a full circle and go back to a peaceful community aquarium. The only fish I have in the tank are a mixed platy, and random feeder goldfish my mom brought home to me one day, had to keep him <3 lol and a pleco. The set up I had before the one I have now was TERRIBLE!! all the fish Except those three didnt make it. So I tore down the tank and rebuilt it. I also spray painted the back black. I also went from all purpose sand (bad mistake!!) to pool filter sand. I believe this setup is gonna work wonders. I was thinking of adding some more platies for my lone platy, maybe a goldfish friend for my goldfish(don't want him to be a odd ball:/ ) and shoal of Cory's or ottos. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

rdKirby

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2013
Texas
I would probably go with something like that because of the fish you currently have. But I also must compliment your setup, I like the look of the flat stones with the sand. the artificial plants don't look too bad either.

dre205

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2010
Georgia
thanks guys, i like the gourmis idea, and the rainbow shark. i think i like the red tailed shark better. im really happy with this setup. cant wait till its a thriving community again. more suggestions please :)

HackJob

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
NH
Angels, i have a 55 set up right now with convicts, but I am thinking about sliding over to angels. That goldfish is going to be quite the bio load.

dre205

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2010
Georgia
Yeah the goldfish is getting big fast. I need to find somewhere to take, maybe like a koi pond or something. I had glass catfish in the past. They always hid. I like the ideas of angels. Maybe like a pair as being the center piece fish. I also wish I could find a smaller pleco species. My current one will be rearranging stuff soon when he gets bigger

mopani

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
Earth
get ya a koi angel pair, a nice school of bleeding hearts or lemon tetras, platies and swordtails a nice single dwarf gourami. if ya loose the big plec, you could get a bristle/bushy nose

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
Do what I did:

4 roseline sharks
4 odessa barbs
3 golden barbs
2 aurulius barbs
3 clown barbs
4 angelicus loaches
L200 Pleco

I run heavy filtration though. Can't get much more colorful and community than that.

dre205

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2010
Georgia
I like the rose line sharks. They're just really expensive at some places. I'm thinking so far

2 angels
3-4 roseline sharks
6 assorted platies
6 peppered cories
1 dwarf gourmis
6 black skirt tetras
3 ottos?
Maybe 1-2 African dwarf frogs?

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
I like the rose line sharks. They're just really expensive at some places. I'm thinking so far

2 angels
3-4 roseline sharks
6 assorted platies
6 peppered cories
1 dwarf gourmis
6 black skirt tetras
3 ottos?
Maybe 1-2 African dwarf frogs?
sounds nice , just one thing ,the tetras MIGHT GET NIPPY.. NICE MIX THOUGH.... another possible issue, frogs might get ambushed by angels?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store