Need help with massive tank move

Nate Dogg

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2011
Louisville
I am moving a 210 gallon fish tank (7*2*2) from 1 room to another 30ish feet then back 40ish feet once tile is layed. I am trying to get help from 1-3 other people most likely it will be 3 people including me. How can I move this 500 pound thing. I am thinking about getting 2 furniture dollies and putting it on that and moving it. I want as little holding onto the tank as possible the person who moved it for me said it cut into his hands and the longer its held the higher chance it is of being droped.

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
Normally 7x2, 2 people one lifts each side of the tank off the stand onto milk crates ( these babes can hold a tank easy trust me I put my 8x4x3 on 2 of them coming off a trailer and it held for a good hour lol ) then just move the stand.

I dont know 7x2s are not heavy? other option would be to try a LFS see if they have suction cups may make it easier for you.

furniture dollies work well also, I prefer lifting the tank as placing the tank so low on the floor is a nightmare for me but if you can find one cheap/borrow they make ones that jack up to x height these are the best, just remember to keep wood under the tank if your placing it on anything metal and bend your knees!!!!!

you can also stack egg crates next to the stand, lets say the tanks 3 egg crates high then you stack 3 high then lift it up get someone to pull 2 egg crates out (1 each side) your left on 2 then repeat again once you get down to 1 you can place the tank on a thick sheet of foam or so (100MM + ) and just slide the tank around.

Moved a 6x2x2.5 by putting it on a single bed frame with wheels and wheeled it around.

your options are endless lol. honestly if you can just lift it that little distance will be the easiest, 7x2 80-100kg come on :p

Nate Dogg

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2011
Louisville
the other thought is to move the tank half way put on saw horses then move the stand all the way then finish moving the tank

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
This past weekend I moved a glass 180 (6x2x2) by myself by putting it up on one side and bear-hugging it. Not fun but, I got it done and up onto its stand by myself. shouldn't be much of a problem for just a couple of guys to move.

It only took my son and I to move a glass 240 and 275 down some steps and across the lawn into the trailer. Then reversed at our destination.

Are you trying to move the tank with anything in it?

Nate Dogg

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2011
Louisville
This past weekend I moved a glass 180 (6x2x2) by myself by putting it up on one side and bear-hugging it. Not fun but, I got it done and up onto its stand by myself. shouldn't be much of a problem for just a couple of guys to move.

It only took my son and I to move a glass 240 and 275 down some steps and across the lawn into the trailer. Then reversed at our destination.

Are you trying to move the tank with anything in it?
the tank has fish and crushed coral, I will move all of it to a 125 till the time comes to move it back. also Mr.Oddball you must be as big as a bear and strong as a bull ox (I mean that with the up most respect) to move a 180 by yourself and all your other tank moves

Nate Dogg

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2011
Louisville
2 things worry me about sliding it
1. will it hurt the tank
2. how hard is it going to be to get it off the ground (including my method) the weight will be hard but where I would have to hold it plus the tank would be in my knees way is what truly worries me

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
yeah I love bear hugging tanks ^_^ largest I have done off a stand is a 7x18x18 2.2m high. Everyone else was 2 scared!

Anyways came back to say when you put the tank back on to the stand you may need to put wood beams under then place the tank on these this way the foam wont move under the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store