can i pellet train a gar?

matty832012

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2013
United States
Hello i was thinking of getting a alligator gar only the women has it claims they only eat live? i find it hard to believe that they would not eat just about anything and the fish is only about 6" so it is still a baby what better time to try but i will not get it if it is not trainable

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
The hard part is providing a "home" large enough for them. But they are one of the easiest gar to convert to non-live foods imo.

matty832012

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2013
United States
awesome thanks now next how big do they get and how fast?

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
You will need some pellets that are like 8 inches long to feed an adult. I do not see this working in the long run. This fish will get over 5 feet long and will need a swimming pool size enclosure to live in.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
You will need some pellets that are like 8 inches long to feed an adult. I do not see this working in the long run. This fish will get over 5 feet long and will need a swimming pool size enclosure to live in.
Pellets are much more dense in proteins and nutrients, and larger fish essentially have a slower metabolism (especially in a glass box) so they can be fed less often as they get older, they do make large pellets and sticks as well.

As far as size i see a FL Gar being more realistic in the long run

Go S.Vettel #1 RB8 3X WDC!!!!!!!!!

women?! pleeze. you're like one of my grandsons. I can't even visualize you thattaway, it's just wrong.
I forgot all about NLS.

you might wanna cut back on your jet fuel intake.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?504763-Cheap-plants-less-nitrate!-POTHOS

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
It's definately possible.

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
awesome thanks now next how big do they get and how fast?
People argue that this is one of the biggest freshwater fish in the world. So you're probably better off not getting it if you aren't already aware of/prepared for this fact.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store