Banned
    Usergroup
    Banned
    Last Activity
    04-11-2013 6:53 PM

Tank for 4 oscars?

I recently got 4 wc o's from rapps and have been growing out them in a spare 40b. I was going to get a 120 and keep 2 but I've really gotten attached to them and would love to keep them all and was wondering, what tank size would you guys suggest? I know I'd want a width of at least 2'.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Well, you know you will need tank space if you decide to keep all 4, so upgrade in size as much as possible. Your focus should be more toward filtration - high bio load no matter the tank size. I would overdo it on filtration.

Sent from my MB855 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
    "We're collectors. We see objects of great beauty and we must have them."
    - George Costanza, in "The Cigar Store Indian"

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    Today 3:30 AM
    Blog Entries
    Well if a 120 is good for two wouldn't it be common sense to double that? So you will need at least a 240. I agree with above go monster on filtration

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
    "I am bad, and that's good. I'll never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be, than me." wreck it ralph

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Josh
    Last Activity
    03-31-2014 5:09 PM
    ^ by that logic a 120 wouldn't be fine for 2, since the recommendation for 1 is a 75 (6sqft of swim room). You'd need a 150 for 2 ( an uncommon one at that with 12sqft of swim room), a 300 for 4 (also an uncommon one, with 24sqft of swim room), etc. If you're missing the point, the logic doesn't pan imo.

a 180 (6x2x2) would be fine for 4 imo but it would depend on their temperament. The larger the foot print the less likely territorial issues will occur. so you may wan to look into an 18sqft tank if you'r planning on getting them from different sources. If they've been raised together I've had success in the 12sqft foot print. (note all of this goes out the window if you get a male-female pair out of the 4. might not be able to supply a tank big enough to keep the other 2 safe).

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Deb
    Last Activity
    08-18-2014 5:46 PM
    I think I'd definitely try to do at least a 180 as mentioned above, but if you could go longer than 6' that would be better. I have a 210 (7x2x2) that would probably be ok for 4 if they got along - I have 2 Oscars in mine right now but also a few large balas. Definitely lots of filtration for those guys - think sump or fx5 types of filters.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    ask
    Blog Entries
    i think a 180 is to small for 4, a tank that has 8 foot by 2.5 foot ( 300 ) would be perfect.... 180 is good for 2 at most, but thats just my oppinion.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    08-05-2014 4:14 PM
    a 180 is good for 4 oscars.

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    09-25-2014 2:14 PM
    Wilds are different in many ways than farmed lfs varieties. This being said a 180g would be ideal for your group. You will also need to keep dividers ready for separation when needed. I have been keeping o's for over 20yrs. Early on I actually kept 6 adults oscars in a 110g with only hob filtration I even had numerous spawns in the tank. The tank was a pain to keep up with. From the fights I would have about a gallon or more of water on the floor every day.
    XXyr old monsterfish keeper. I might have been keeping fish longer than you have been alive.

Sleepin with the fishes

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Last Activity
    09-18-2014 12:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zoohouse View Post
    Wilds are different in many ways than farmed lfs varieties. This being said a 180g would be ideal for your group. You will also need to keep dividers ready for separation when needed. I have been keeping o's for over 20yrs. Early on I actually kept 6 adults oscars in a 110g with only hob filtration I even had numerous spawns in the tank. The tank was a pain to keep up with. From the fights I would have about a gallon or more of water on the floor every day.
    Did they have a maush pit going on while you weren't in the room?
    125 Gallon long
    75 Gallon
    55x2 Gallons
    40 Gallon Breeder

Usergroup
    MFK members
    Real Name
    Adam Harness
    Last Activity
    09-29-2014 9:49 PM
    Blog Entries
    A 180 or 220 would be good for 4 adults
    It's only a monster if you want it to be.