Tank for 4 oscars?

Mr Aidan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2012
Roseville
I recently got 4 wc o's from rapps and have been growing out them in a spare 40b. I was going to get a 120 and keep 2 but I've really gotten attached to them and would love to keep them all and was wondering, what tank size would you guys suggest? I know I'd want a width of at least 2'.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

baldtaxguy

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2006
Well, you know you will need tank space if you decide to keep all 4, so upgrade in size as much as possible. Your focus should be more toward filtration - high bio load no matter the tank size. I would overdo it on filtration.

Sent from my MB855 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Well if a 120 is good for two wouldn't it be common sense to double that? So you will need at least a 240. I agree with above go monster on filtration

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

yogurt_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
AZ, USA
^ by that logic a 120 wouldn't be fine for 2, since the recommendation for 1 is a 75 (6sqft of swim room). You'd need a 150 for 2 ( an uncommon one at that with 12sqft of swim room), a 300 for 4 (also an uncommon one, with 24sqft of swim room), etc. If you're missing the point, the logic doesn't pan imo.

a 180 (6x2x2) would be fine for 4 imo but it would depend on their temperament. The larger the foot print the less likely territorial issues will occur. so you may wan to look into an 18sqft tank if you'r planning on getting them from different sources. If they've been raised together I've had success in the 12sqft foot print. (note all of this goes out the window if you get a male-female pair out of the 4. might not be able to supply a tank big enough to keep the other 2 safe).

jadedreams

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2011
Oklahoma
I think I'd definitely try to do at least a 180 as mentioned above, but if you could go longer than 6' that would be better. I have a 210 (7x2x2) that would probably be ok for 4 if they got along - I have 2 Oscars in mine right now but also a few large balas. Definitely lots of filtration for those guys - think sump or fx5 types of filters.

livebearerfreak

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2006
no where
i think a 180 is to small for 4, a tank that has 8 foot by 2.5 foot ( 300 ) would be perfect.... 180 is good for 2 at most, but thats just my oppinion.

zoohouse

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Arlington
Wilds are different in many ways than farmed lfs varieties. This being said a 180g would be ideal for your group. You will also need to keep dividers ready for separation when needed. I have been keeping o's for over 20yrs. Early on I actually kept 6 adults oscars in a 110g with only hob filtration I even had numerous spawns in the tank. The tank was a pain to keep up with. From the fights I would have about a gallon or more of water on the floor every day.

AllAlaskan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2012
Mat-Su, Alaska, USA
Wilds are different in many ways than farmed lfs varieties. This being said a 180g would be ideal for your group. You will also need to keep dividers ready for separation when needed. I have been keeping o's for over 20yrs. Early on I actually kept 6 adults oscars in a 110g with only hob filtration I even had numerous spawns in the tank. The tank was a pain to keep up with. From the fights I would have about a gallon or more of water on the floor every day.
Did they have a maush pit going on while you weren't in the room?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store