I'm very torn...

badazz07sti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
salinas
My dovii is getting bigger, brighter, and for the first time ever, attacked me through the glass. I really want him to be my show piece. The only thing is my loyalty to my jag. I've had him for about 3.5 years and my wife loves him. She named him Grumpy lol. I don't have the space for another tank and I'm very stubborn to keep my dovii. The other problem is they're in a divided 75g, so anything long term for both is out of the question. Have any of you come across this dilemma? The fish you've always dreamed of, or the fish you've had for a long time.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1362707547002.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1362707565329.jpg

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
"Have any of you come across this dilemma? The fish you've always dreamed of, or the fish you've had for a long time."

I'm willing to say 90% of us on here has had this dilemma, it sucks.

rdKirby

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2013
Texas
Tough decision man...both are very good looking fish. I'd go with the dovii though lol

Sent from my LG-LS696 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RampageRR

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
MD/VA/WV
www.youtube.com
That is a tough one. Hard not to stay with the jag since you've had him for so long, but that dovii is really nice looking. Are you ever going to be able to get a larger tank? I know you said space was an issue. If you're stuck with just a single 75, then maybe stick with the jag, since that dovii is going to get a whole lot bigger.

NWatson

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
Cincinnati
I don't think the 75 is cruel to the Jag. Not the best size tank for a solo male. Every male does not get to 16", also the jag with weekly water changes should be okay. I think a 125 would be best, if you keep up on large water changes and keep him healthy than you could hang onto him for a ling time. That size tank is only good for a little while for the Dovii, maybe a year or so. I would keep the Jag and if possible upgrade to a 125 in a couple years. A 125 is only 2FT longer than the 75 so it wont take up much more room. Both look nice! You will only get the pleasure of the Dovii for a little bit longer, you can enjoy the jag for many more years. The older they they get the better to keep, your just about to hit the best years for the Jag.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
I think I want a jag now NWatson lol well said. This is just my opinion but I would keep your jag over Dovii, there not for every one and was not for me I just got rid of mine because I have Umbee. I had to pick one cause two huge tanks was not realistic for me so I choose the Umbee just for the fact I like Umbee look better and My dovii was to crazy to a point it really annoyed me. So think which you would like to look at more and if you realisticly are gonna keep a dovii for a long time! your Jag is beautiful!! Dovii also!

cich78

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
new york
You have two very nice beautiful parachromis male specimens... I think that realistically your best choice is to keep the jag... You are limited by tank space.. You can get away with the 75 for the Jag but not the Dovii the long term... That's the main reason why I myself have chose not to get a Dovii because my biggest tank is a 150 and I think they need more to gain at least near their full potential...I'm sure I could keep one for a while but I want to keep it for life ... If you had the same problem except for the size of the tank was like 240 everybody would be saying to keep the Dovii... Your jag is very nice ...I have a younger smaller one in a 120 gallon that looks very much like yours and it is become my new favorite fish ...And besides it's hard getting rid of a fish that the wife likes:)... Find one of these Mfk members thats got like a 300 400 500 gallon tank ( not me unfortunately )make them happy:)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
If you only have the one 75 gallon tank keep the Jag. If your wife likes the jag keep the jag it'll pay off in the long run. You can get another Dovii down the road when you have a tank big enough for it. It's not like their rare you can get another one any time you want.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store