Does tannins in the water have an affect on freshwater stingrays ?

murray8698

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2013
cincinnati, oh
I have a 500 gallon aquarium with 3 rays just added 2 large pieces of drift wood to my tank after soaking it for about a week. after changing the water out several times from the container i was soaking the drift wood in the water seemed clear on the last change, so i thought i was good to go. well i was wrong now my water is yellow i'm guessing from tannins leaking from the wood did a my usual 50% weekly water change and still the same tint of yellow my two larger motoros seem fine, active and eating like usual, but my marble motoro pup seems to be burying herself in the sand a lot more lately but still eats during feeding time but then usual goes and buries herself. I've read that the tannins will eventually disappear, but wanting to know if its going to have an affect on the rays now or down the road.

murray8698

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2013
cincinnati, oh
Couldn't way to big had to soak it in my 94 gallon water storage tank. I bought it from a fish store they said the guy they get there drift wood from treats it by baking it. All they said for me to do is to soak it for a few days. I soaked it for a week water looked clear when i drained it for the last time.

Stateofficer1984

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2011
Fairmont North Carolina
I dont think it will have any effeCT on the rays, the only thing I can think of is if you have high Ph before the drift wood, it will lower your Ph significantly... Just check the Ph of your water source, then check the water in the tank, see the difference..

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Shouldn't be a problem. I've never noticed a change in my pH (8.0) when soaking driftwood.

murray8698

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2013
cincinnati, oh
My ph was at 6.8 before the drift was put in the aquarium a few days later after noticing my water turning yellow did a test and ph was in low low 6's did a water change because it was time for one I use 50% RO water with 50% tap that is stored in a water container for 24hrs with added conditioner and air stone before I do my water change. Tap is at 7.6 and RO is at 6.2

shark.bait

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2013
London Ontario Canada
The tannins are not at all harmful for your rays. If anything the driftwood will be beneficial because it will soften the water and make it a tad more acidic which rays prefer in the first place. It will take a long time to get the tannins out of the wood. I have had my driftwood for months and after a few days of water changes the water is stained brown. Having driftwood that doesn't release tannins is just for aesthetics.

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
Your marble is probably reacting to the changes (putting the driftwood in), not any toxicity. Some rays just use some time when you change the interior of the tank.

murray8698

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2013
cincinnati, oh
Thanks guys for all the info, my tank has been problem free up til this point just making sure this wasnt an issue because im getting my new leopoldi this sunday. Been stressing out, but everything seems to be ok. The marble has been out of sand for almost a whole day now so she must be getting used to the changes all three still eating like pigs

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store