filtration to clear poop

titustitus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
Singapore
Hey all!

So my fishes poop a lot and it's unsightly to leave them lying on the ground so I have to do like a very small water change daily while sucking out the poop. Seems like my canister filter isn't do a good job in terms of mechanical filtration. Was thinking of getting an additional overhead filter in hopes that a submergible powerhead can suck the poop up to the ohf and get stuck at the cotton which I can wash regularly or at least not have to see the poop in the tank. Is this a possible solution or will the ohf disappoint me?

Thanks for the advice!

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Pfs+hydor korrilia 1050gph circulator blowing toward filter intake = little to no poop.

Go S.Vettel #1 RB8 3X WDC!!!!!!!!!

women?! pleeze. you're like one of my grandsons. I can't even visualize you thattaway, it's just wrong.
I forgot all about NLS.

you might wanna cut back on your jet fuel intake.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?504763-Cheap-plants-less-nitrate!-POTHOS

Longshot

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
Central Texas
I have a small army of river snails that are taking care of pleco, crawdad and fish logs. Then the small snail waste gets washed into the filter much easier.

titustitus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
Singapore
I'm only using a canister filter now which is keeping the water clear and in good parameters. Only issue bothering me is seeing the poop all around. I have no sand or gravel, bare bottom. The only think that is close (but still not close) to clearing the poop is the submerged part of the canister filter system which has a sponge around to stop the poop from getting sucked into the canister itself. But still that isn't really working out in gathering the poop.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Best thing is to keep up the small water changes, and suck it up.
If its in a filter its like sweeping it under the rug, its still in the water of the tank, and metabolizing, thus creating nitrate. Adding new water everyday is much healthier for your fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store