two things i have to ask.

matty832012

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2013
United States
Hello
i would like to know two minor things that i have searched the site and cant get an answer on them. the first thing is that i did a 20% water change on my 180 this am and there is quite a bit of floaties should i change more or simply let it settle down. next i dominant fish in the tank is my albino oscar and he tells other fishes that when ever they question it. however he is getting huge really quick and it appieres as if the veins or supports of his fins are growing quicker then the fill in stuff between giving him almost a tattered look? i have payed close attention to him and the others over the last few days and have not seen anyone giving him a hard time. is this possible?

NixMix

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2010
South Carolina
It sounds more like someone is nipping his fins.

As far as the suspended particles in the water column, just let it filter out like usual. No worries on it.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
By floaties do you mean poop?..

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
First of all, I would wait for any suspended particles to get settle out. If your water still looks dirty after a day or so then you should investigate. Maybe you need another water change, or your filter's dirty, or you may be experiencing an ammonia/nitrite spike if it's cloudy.

Second, I doubt that your oscar's fin rays are growing faster than the fins. He is probably either getting picked on by somebody or he has "fin rot". Do the edges of the fins look white and sort of moldy in appearance? It could also be damage from a fight that you didn't witness. Fins can take a couple of weeks to grow back, and sometimes longer depending on how much of the fin is damaged.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
really cant ever change too much water so if u feel like doing another, go for it. id keep a close eye on his fins, as many diseases and infections first show on the fins.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
By floaties do you mean poop?..
I asked because since you pretty much just did a change and there is stuff floating about I'm wondering if you have adequate filtration...
really cant ever change too much water so if u feel like doing another, go for it. id keep a close eye on his fins, as many diseases and infections first show on the fins.
Agreed.

matty832012

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2013
United States
thanks everyone i will certainly keep a close eye of his fins. they do look a little tattered but no white on the edges. as for filtration? i have a 200 gallon fx5 uv canister filter and a 70 cartridge in the center as a little extra on a 180. i read here before i got my 180 that with cichlids especially oscars you really cant have enough filtration. i plan on changing the cartridge out this up coming Sunday if i get the filters by then and also as for the nitrates and ammonia all levels are fine. she is running at 80 degrees a tiny bit of salt 8.0 p.h and all good levels otherwise.tonight however all is clear so i guess the filters are doing there job. thanks everyone and i will keep posted on those fins if anything changes, hopefully we can catch it if it is something eating them and change it before he cant swim. as i said he is the biggest in the tank and id hate to loose him

matty832012

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2013
United States
Hello for anyone following this post, i took all levels today and the ammonia was under the .25 but above the zero unfortunetly. nitrates are the same just a tiny bit up but not bad and the nitrites are 15 ppm so i think all is well as long as no other levels change only go down, i will be pumped. next the oscar is showing signs today of his fins growing back so we will see and the floating particals are minimal. i never received the filter components yesterday as i was hoping but they will be here soon. also anyone keep me in mind in the future im putting money aside for continuation of the hobbies and decided to move all fish stuff to my finished basement where i will have room for many tanks and cant wait.

joeypaul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
Lakeland,Florida
I hope you are mixing up nitrites and nitrates. Any nitrites is bad. Some nitrates are okay, however should be under 20ppm.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

matty832012

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2013
United States
ha i am constantly mixing them up i have to try to remember the diffrences in the a and the i when i test and im god

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store