Manzanita Bark

megoto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2010
JBLM, WA
Is it really critical to remove the bark off of a piece of manzanita wood? I really like the color of the wood with it on. Thank you in advance.

cali~budfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Sacramento
If not it ends up falling off all in the tank and makes a really big mess. And don't worry about the white fuzz that grows off of it. It'll go away.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

megoto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2010
JBLM, WA
ok another question, how long does it take to completely dry out to where you can use it in the tank?

cali~budfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Sacramento
Well you could leave it in the sun and the stuff flakes off. Only problem is it can crack and split the wood. Best bet is to pressure wash or sandblast off the red outer layer. You can put it in whenever. it is a hardwood and will stay submerged for the most part. Do you have the branches already or are you going to get them from somewhere?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

megoto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2010
JBLM, WA
I have them already. I collected them when I was on a hike. They are in the garage right now. There is a flaky layer of bark on parts of it but on most of it the wood is a red color and it is relatively thick and not wanting to come off easily do I need to take this layer off too or just the flaky part?

cali~budfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Sacramento
Honestly you can just leave it on and the outer layer will fall off over time it's just kind of a pain to clean out of your tank. I live in Ca and manzanita is all over the place about twenty min from where I live. I've gotten branches but what I really want is the roots and trunk of the tree. Post pics when you get it in your tank I wanna see how you arrange it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store