Frequent water changes hurting plants?

BassetsForBrown

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2012
Boston
Hi,
I am trying to grow my SA/CA cichlids as fast as safely possible and, among other factors I understand very frequent water changes (more than 3 45% changes/week) can help their growth by removing nitrates. Howeber, would this water change schedule be detrimental to my Java ferns and anubias? As plants like to consume nitrate. Obviously since the aquarium is fully cycled the water will never be at zero nitrate, but is there such a thing as "too low" as far as plants are concerned?

Thank

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I do water changes every other day, beside nitrates plants need other nutrients such as calcium and others replenished by water changes.
1 of my anubius

and 1 of my java ferns

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I found doing more frequent water changes made my plants healthier not unhealtier.. like Duanes already summed up... water changes replenish many things plants and our fish need imo to grow faster/healthier ect. IF you where removing 90% daily, Had a tank-full of plants and your water source held no nitrates at all.. i might be slightly concerned about nitrates... but if i understand plants.. nitrates are actually utilized after excess ammonia and other nutrients. most hobbyists look at planst as "nitrate" sponges... and they are. But nitrates alone do not give the majority of plants what they need to flourish.. hence all the fancy co2 reactors, lighting, fertilizers ect you will find available for "plant guys" out there. That being said... most my tanks hold plants to decrease nitraes between water changes and usually test in the 5 range as duanes does.. sometimes less but i doubt it's ever for extended time.

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
X2 about everything u guys said..... but best thing for my planted tank was to use50% R.O. water. Plants don't like all the heavy metals in tap water
Just my opinion

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
I found doing more frequent water changes made my plants healthier not unhealtier.. like Duanes already summed up... water changes replenish many things plants and our fish need imo to grow faster/healthier ect. IF you where removing 90% daily, Had a tank-full of plants and your water source held no nitrates at all.. i might be slightly concerned about nitrates... but if i understand plants.. nitrates are actually utilized after excess ammonia and other nutrients. most hobbyists look at planst as "nitrate" sponges... and they are. But nitrates alone do not give the majority of plants what they need to flourish.. hence all the fancy co2 reactors, lighting, fertilizers ect you will find available for "plant guys" out there. That being said... most my tanks hold plants to decrease nitraes between water changes and usually test in the 5 range as duanes does.. sometimes less but i doubt it's ever for extended time.
+1 :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
it can, depends on the plants. my anubias don't seem to be bothered by daily changes of 40ish% for the short term, but the peacock moss slowly fades away.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store